Menu

CLE Math--At what level will I need the TG's

m0mmaBuck

We've done the 200 level and currently DS is on LU 308. I have yet to use the TG for more than the answers (and I only use it for those because I'm lazy;)). With the 400 level, could I just by the answer keys or will I actually want theTG's? Similarly, do I need the TG for the 100 level? I mean. it's 1st grade math!

What about the LTR program? Anything of value in those TG's? Or is the majority of the teaching contained in those LU's as well?

If I don't need the TG's, I'd love to save the money for our science curriculum!

I believe 100 and 200 TG's are the only ones required. If I remember right the TG for 400 was cheaper than the answer key :confused:, I may be completely wrong. I just think that cuz it struck me as strange.

You will want the TG for 100's. I did see someone once say they didn't use them but I really don't understand how. I am going through CLE 100 for the second time and you would be missing A LOT. I just received the 200's and at a glance I don't really understand why they were recommended.

we've never used them, even with levels 1 or 2. we are in level 3 now & still don't use them (or need them - ever) - so i'm not sure about level 4. in fact, level 2 we didn't need them in any shape or form. level 1, there are a couple of questions sprinkled throughout where the TM or answer key will tell you specific numbers to use. we just make up our numbers though, it is obvious (to me anyway) what the question is trying to teach. i.e., place value, addition, story problem, etc.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I use the TM's up to level 300. After that, I just buy the answer keys. I use the Math 100 TM and I used the LTR TM daily. The other ones I use mostly as a key or just for some ideas if I need them. They were cheap enough to buy and not worry about. I never use the TM with my older dd, even though I bought them.

Faithe

I was in a hurry earlier so wanted to extend my post. I'll agree that the 100's can be used w/o TG. The oral lessons are what would be missed. The things that are introduced orally are strategic: count by 25's for several lessons before introducing quarters, for example. You will have to make up your own story problem as those are done orally and they add an extension to each story problem that makes them think a little harder (I LOVE THIS). There is a dictation section on most lessons. They sometimes dictate a normal number, sometimes it is a dollar amount, sometimes it is 4 in the tens place 8 in the ones place, or an addition or subtraction (or a mix of these). Yes, you could absolutely do it without this, I personally wouldn't. The oral lessons in the 100's are one of my favorite things to teach.

OK, so I may want them for Math 100 and LTR but not necessarily for Math 400. I'll have to check the prices because I thought the TG for Math 400 was split in 2 parts at $9 each but the answer keys were $6 something for the whole set....

Thanks again.