Menu

Reading Comprehension suggestions??

parias1126

I am using WWE1 with my DS7. I can read the whole passage and he has no clue what I read. I have tried reading a few sentences at a time and asked him to tell me what I just read and still at the end, he can't answer 70% of the questions.

I just need a great resource that can be used daily to help him to recall what is read. Any suggestions?

We're using Beyond the Code as well. She has no problems reading the story and answering the questions.

When we did WWE1, she enjoyed listening to me read, but hated answering the oral questions. I know she remembers what is read orally, as I can read a chapter book, and she'll write a summary later on (totally not required by me). We just didn't enjoy the WWE format. We already do SOTW questions, so I'm okay with not doing WWE and using other resources.

We're using Beyond the Code as well. She has no problems reading the story and answering the questions.

When we did WWE1, she enjoyed listening to me read, but hated answering the oral questions. I know she remembers what is read orally, as I can read a chapter book, and she'll write a summary later on (totally not required by me). We just didn't enjoy the WWE format. We already do SOTW questions, so I'm okay with not doing WWE and using other resources.

Well today we started A Childs History of the World and I asked him to retell me what had happened in the chapter I read. He was only able to be part of a conversation as we discussed it but couldn't respond to me when I asked him to retell it. Go figure! But he can't answer the questions in WWE? Maybe he is just not interested. :confused: off to check out Beyond the Code.

Two things.

First, this is *listening* comprehension rather than reading comprehension.

Second, instead of asking him in a general sense what you just read, ask specific questions about it. You may have to ask a lot of questions. Then lead him through a short narration of the material. Do this as many times as is necessary. He will get it eventually.

If he's not reading it, then it isn't READING Comprehension, its...what, audio/listening comprehension?

Its possible that the material you're reading is just of no interest to him whatsoever...

Why don't you let him read you a short passage and then quiz you if he's interested?

I think you should try out several short stories on tape/cd. Just listen to them together and then talk about your favorite parts, or not, throughout the rest of the semester.

Read more normal books and basic reading/literature.

Good luck.

Two things.

First, this is *listening* comprehension rather than reading comprehension.

Second, instead of asking him in a general sense what you just read, ask specific questions about it. You may have to ask a lot of questions. Then lead him through a short narration of the material. Do this as many times as is necessary. He will get it eventually.

:iagree: Rebecca required a lot of work and patience in WWE1. Her reading comprehension was fine, but her listening comprehension needed work (still does sometimes :glare:). Keep plugging with WWE. Are you re-reading the parts that answer the questions when he gets a question wrong?

Some of the passages in WWE have been difficult for my son, sometimes due to the language used. We've kept plugging along, and he has gotten better. Sometimes when answering a question, I have to go back and read just the part that answers the question. I think that's fine to do that. You're developing a skill.