Menu

What?!? 12 y.o. homeschooled killer?

Stop impregnating her, at least.

I agree with the perfect storm.

I admit ignorance, because I don't even know what case ya'll are discussing. ;) I really just wanted to know because my SIL is distraught right now.

I think the DIL's husband (my SIL's son) is worried about how this will affect his military career. I also think he doesn't know how to go about making his wife take her medicine. I also think he is very unhappy and feels hopeless about her changing. He comes home from work and just wants to retreat from it, I think.

Edited by nestof3

I know a lot of kids who could do that, but their parents keep the guns locked up when they aren't being used to hunt. I don't know of anyone who leaves the guns available to children. Isn't it just a basic safety precaution to lock up guns? Even if you trust the 12 year old and his friends, if you are robbed, you don't want guns out.

She was responding to my post though - I said this:

On the gun control though - a locked gun, a trigger lock, ammunition locked in a separate area... If the family hunts, a 12 year old boy would know how to find all the separate parts, remove the lock, and put it all together. My 11yo son could unlock a gun, remove a trigger lock, and load a gun if he knew where all three keys were.

That IS locked up. Gun locked. Ammunition locked in a separate ammo box. Trigger guard locked and on triggers. Three separate lock processes. Still, if a 12yo is a trusted son, hunts with Dad, he'll know where those keys are.

I highly doubt the parents EVER saw this coming... Unlike Andrea Yates' husband, but who knows? Andrea Yates was DEATHLY afraid she was going to hurt her children, to the point of suicide. Her psychologist took her off of anti-psychotic drugs just shortly before it happened and she BEGGED her husband and psychologist to listen to her - that she was horribly afraid she'd hurt those kids, to please help her. In my mind, BOTH of them should have been charged as accessories. Her husband, after reading much on it, was a cold, cold, fish.

I admit ignorance, because I don't even know what case ya'll are discussing. ;) I really just wanted to know because my SIL is distraught right now.

I think the DIL's husband (my SIL's son) is worried about how this will affect his military career. I also think he doesn't know how to go about making his wife take her medicine. I also think he is very unhappy and feels hopeless about her changing. He comes home from work and just wants to retreat from it, I think.

1. The husband needs to get his priorities straight in regards to being worried about how it will "affect his career" (sic). The military no longer has a "wife block" on the evaluation report (and yes, it did, clear up into the 1970s). In contrast, NOT taking care of one's family member is seen as irresponsibility that could bleed over into one's professional abilities.

2. The husband can't make the wife take her medicine. What he can do is take her to the hospital. Anyone who is a danger to themselves or others (Joanne would have to validate if this is correct, but I believe neglect of children is considered danger to others) can be placed on an involuntary, inpatient 72 hour hold. During that time, the patient will be put into a stabilized condition, and a plan will be put into place to keep them there.

In the military system, psychiatry is taken quite seriously (contrary to what one might read in the press). If they know about a family member who is that unstable (in this case, not because she hasn't been going to the clinic, but because she is off her meds - which I doubt she has told anyone), they will switch the treatment plan. There are meds that can be taken in "depot" fashion; meaning they are given once every 3 months by injection. There are "agreements" that can be signed between patient and provider, where the patient agrees to comply in order to continue having _______. In this case, it may be NOT having to have a social worker at her door checking on her kids every week. The military is big on social workers, trust me.

The military simply cannot afford to have a soldier worrying about their family member when they should be of focusing on their job. Military jobs (and police, and fire dept.) can get people killed in a second if someone's mind wanders. And quite often that person is the person who has family troubles.

He needs to take her to the hospital.

asta

1. The husband needs to get his priorities straight in regards to being worried about how it will "affect his career" (sic). The military no longer has a "wife block" on the evaluation report (and yes, it did, clear up into the 1970s). In contrast, NOT taking care of one's family member is seen as irresponsibility that could bleed over into one's professional abilities.

The underlined, bolded italicized bears repeating.

2. The husband can't make the wife take her medicine. What he can do is take her to the hospital. Anyone who is a danger to themselves or others (Joanne would have to validate if this is correct, but I believe neglect of children is considered danger to others) can be placed on an involuntary, inpatient 72 hour hold. During that time, the patient will be put into a stabilized condition, and a plan will be put into place to keep them there.

In the military system, psychiatry is taken quite seriously (contrary to what one might read in the press). If they know about a family member who is that unstable (in this case, not because she hasn't been going to the clinic, but because she is off her meds - which I doubt she has told anyone), they will switch the treatment plan. There are meds that can be taken in "depot" fashion; meaning they are given once every 3 months by injection. There are "agreements" that can be signed between patient and provider, where the patient agrees to comply in order to continue having _______. In this case, it may be NOT having to have a social worker at her door checking on her kids every week. The military is big on social workers, trust me.

The military simply cannot afford to have a soldier worrying about their family member when they should be of focusing on their job. Military jobs (and police, and fire dept.) can get people killed in a second if someone's mind wanders. And quite often that person is the person who has family troubles.

asta

I totally agree with asta. There have been TOO MANY cases where military members did not get help due to fear of reprisals. There are a lot of wonderful providers in the military system. It's better to be safe than sorry. He should seek out help.

HOWEVER, I will add (for anyone else reading) that military family members can seek help outside of the military health system by contacting militaryonesource. You can call them at 1-800-342-9647. You can see a counselor for 12 sessions *per issue*. The military and family life consultant program is also excellent for specific issues-they offer workshops, group discussions, etc. If someone needs long-term care, then that person will be referred back to a MTF/medical provider, but these are good options for people needing short-term help with depression or working through a specific issue.

Thank you all! I will pass this along to my SIL. Her son is young and overwhelmed, I believe. They married young (she was pregnant), his wife doesn't take care of anything around the house but plays video games all day. Her ex-husband obtained full custody of her other two children because he proved her unfit.

Their son has some learning disabilities. They had been in Japan, but he moved the family back to the states in hopes of better medical care. I think at this point, he is utterly depressed as well.