Menu

Math Vocabulary, how do you make it stick?

Azalea

Any curriculum / software etc. that teaches math vocabulary? My kids don't have any difficulty with math, but I'm tired of being asked questions like, "product, that's the answer to a multiplication problem, right?" At 5th grade my son should know this like he knows 2 + 2. Simply learning the vocabulary as we learn the math is not working. I'm frustrated, any ideas? Azalea

Perhaps some of the games from this company might work for you?

http://www.currclick.com/product_info.php?products_id=25600&it=1

We have used some of them and quite enjoyed them.

Last year I had my kids make a math bulletin board. Perhaps creating little posters or other visuals will help. Having something like that on the wall also helped me to remember to review everyday.

Dd11 has started an index file box with concepts\formulas, etc. She has vocabulary cards in there too. Just making the cards seems to have helped her remember them.

What letting him make a math mini-office that he can include terms\vocabulary on. That way atleast he would be able to quickly refer to it when needed and after a while he would probably remember.

I'm with 5 Little Monkeys. We just recently started adding math vocabulary cards to the children's All about Spelling card file. We also added Latin roots, for what it's worth. It's working very well.

If you don't use All about Spelling, the thing that makes it work well is that there is a place for current review, mastered (to be gone through occasionally), and future cards that you haven't gotten to yet.

As the kids come across new concepts and formulae in their math books, they make index cards with the question on one side and the answer on the other.