Menu

Still having troubles with math...

I am STILL working on getting my dd(10) to memorize her add/subt. facts. She does good with small numbers, but not larger numbers like the 6, 7, 8, 9's. She has moderate functioning autism, and is kinda slow (low IQ). We had taken a break from subtraction, and today when we went to do it she had totally forgot how. We have been working on this stuff for the last two years :(. Currently she is using A.C.E for math right now, because it is one of the few things she can understand. I am considering either going back to MUS so she can learn her facts, or order Two Plus Two is Not Five from amazon. Or, do you think she would benefit from something else? I am getting frustrated that she is ten and we are still working on add/subtr., I am wondering if she will ever be able to do higher math.

J struggles with memorizing his facts as well, he is younger than your daughter but what we have decided to allow is the use of his manipulatives whenever he needs then. Give him his blocks and a math problem, he has it done in a matter of seconds. Ask him to *tell* you the answer, forget it.

Thank you both. For now we will just keep plugging along with math using the manipulative's when she needs them. I guess in the future if she needs to use the calculator than that is fine. I will just have to adapt things for her special needs.

Have you tried the Right Start math games or other card/dice type games?

With my ds I worked on visualization skills (of both numbers and quantities-On Cloud Nine) and at the same time I would play a lot of war. We stared with the cards 0, 1 and 2 and played daily. Once he was proficient with those we continued to add a number. Now he does fine with all of them. You can do the same thing with subtraction, and control how far apart the spread is, so it is easy for them to subtract. Dice also work well for subtraction, because the biggest spread you will get is 6-1.

Though ds is not autistic. He is dyslexic, and maybe CAPD.

Heather

My son (8) diagnosed with PDD/SPD/OCD (sigh) has also struggled with math. There are times when he really gets it and is at a 2nd grade level, but then we find we have to start over and review almost endlessly. It's two steps forward, five steps back.

I just try to teach him little tricks to get the answer faster instead of asking him to memorize. Memorize those doubles (2+2=4, 3+3=6, etc) and then problems like 7+8 becomes a breeze. "I know 7+7=14 and 8 is 1 more than 7 so 7+8 should be 15." After talking through it like this so many times I've noticed him getting faster. I worked hard at getting him to understand 10s and 1s so he can quickly do 13+9 in his head by "pretending" that 9 is a ten and then take one away, (or add 1 if subtracting) so he can quickly get to 22 this way. I teach 2 and 3 digit add/subt with the ten and one rods as well.

This has taken a long time for him to internalize and lots of work with Cuisinaire rods and a lot of reading on my part (since I never claimed to be a math teacher). Subtraction is still really hard for him to do mentally---we still rely on the rods or fingers, BUT we will get there!!! As long as they understand or show they are beginning to understand how math works, I think it would be doing them a larger favor than straight memorization.

I wish in my own public schooling someone had let me "play" with math and really understand the puzzle of it than just expecting me to memorize and finish a timed test. :)

Math is really an abstract concept, and I think our children (especially ASD kiddos) can really struggle with it, or excel so well that they can't use their math knowledge in realistic day to day settings.

This is quick but for my daughter with a lower IQ, the Christian Light Education math worked VERY well. They taught in small segments with lots of review. We just did the daily "timed" tests without the timer---too much stress for her.