Menu

Questions about Minimus

I was wondering if I really need the teachers manual for Minimus? It'ss alot of money for one book, with not many pages.

If I were to buy it, do you think that it would be easy enough to sell it?

Has anyone used the mini books? Are they worth the investment?

Thanks

Our public library has the Minimus books. Maybe you could check yours and give them a look to help you decide.

We do not use Minumus for our Latin program. We just use the student book as a reader. I've never bothered to look at the TM. It may be overflowing with wonderful wit and ideas but frankly, I can't imagine it being necessary. The student book -- at least the student book that we've read from the library -- doesn't seem to need it. I hate for you to go on my word, though, b/c I haven't seen it.

I really can't imagine Minimus being expensive. I have never looked at the price but this is my opinion: it's a great supplement and fun reader. No more than that, I wouldn't think. THen again, I've never seen the TM: maybe together they make something whole.

Really, try to check that thing out at the library!

There is a yahoo group for Minimus. They have some web links that can help flesh out the program. I have used the book student book without and with the TG. My children don't care too much for busy work and sometimes that is what it felt like. DS doesn't enjoy coloring so the coloring activities were wasted on him. I may use some pages for my youngest child when we get to it, but I won't worry about it.

As to the mini books someone on the list said they did not think them worth the money for what they got. I have neither seen them nor used them so this is all second hand or third hand account.

Check out the yahoo group. There are lots of good ideas.

HTHs,

I have mixed feelings about Minimus.

We finished both Minimus and the sequel Secundus, and we really enjoyed them both. They gave my son a great feeling about Latin -- that he "knew" Latin, that he could understand Latin, and that he liked Latin. Can't beat that!

But we've recently started Latin Prep. We're only on Chapter 3; but we've already learned more Latin than we did in nearly 2 years with Minimus. Now it certainly could be that our success w/LP is because of our prior success with Minimus. (??) Or it could be that LP is immensly better than Minimus and that we should have focused our time w/LP to start with. (??)

If you're going to do Minimus,IMO, you definitely DO need the TM. The English translations are in the TM. Oh, and I would also get the listening CDs. We enjoyed those a lot.

(And, btw, MomofOnefunOne, the TMs are quite expensive. They are priced high because the TM gives the teacher the right to make photocopies of all the activities for all the kids in her public school classroom; which, of course, is lost on a homeschool mom. It's a big decision.)

"We finished both Minimus and the sequel Secundus, and we really enjoyed them both. They gave my son a great feeling about Latin -- that he "knew" Latin, that he could understand Latin, and that he liked Latin. Can't beat that!"

We're doing Minimus right now as a follow up to PL (and part of LCI). Mostly we chose it because it is fun, colorful, and does exactly this... gives the "feel" of reading actual texts. My ds is young, but a strong reader, and it is just his speed... I'm hoping to finish Secundus next year and then move on to Latin Prep.

I also suggest getting the teacher's manual. It does include the translations of the texts, background information on Roman culture/society for each chapter (my favorite part!), the answers to questions. There are also suggested activities, many of which are classroom based, and activity sheets with coloring, cut and paste, games, crafts etc. Also, there is explanation of the grammar (not included in the student text) and vocabulary lists (also not in the student text), as well as extra vocabulary. The CDs also get listened to a lot here... I like having the additional reinforcement of pronounciation.

It is expensive, but maybe you live near someone you could share one with?

My daughter liked the activities in the TG, and I liked having all the translations there too.

Like the pp said, Minimus gave dd the opportunity to understand and like Latin. I think she got a lot out of the program and has decided she wants to continue studying Latin. We are now trying to decide between Lively Latin and Latin for Children. Oh, the agony. :blink:

We did Minimus as well as our introduction to Latin, and IMHO that is all Minimus is. My girls were a little bored with it, especially my oldest.

For what it's worth, I have the teacher manual and CD that I am going to be selling!!!

Love Minimus and plan to follow with Latin Prep and Cambridge.

I have found the worksheets in the TM to be invaluable but have not otherwise used the TM all that much. I think that these worksheets really add a lot and help us to practice what we are learning.

But this course could easily be done without the TM as many of the words used in the dialogue are either very close to English or Spanish and are listed in the vocabulary sections. The CD is nice as well but not really necessary either. We do try to listen to the stories a few times.

Hope you enjoy Minimus if you decide to go with it.:001_smile:

I would have to say the necessity of the TM is dependent upon your knowledge of Latin. I would have been pretty lost without the TM for the translations. We used Minimus as a "fun" supplement to Prima Latina last year.

As a side note, though my ds did find it fun, he really didn't learn/retain much from Minimus. Then again, I'm not a fan of whole to parts language instruction. I don't find it successful unless one is immersed in the language.

Someone else mentioned the Yahoo group. There are two groups out there, and one has the TM available, with the author's permission, for download in their files section.

The TM is no longer available on the Yahoo group sadly, well not on the group I'm on. Is it still available on the other?

I have the TM and I'm not sure I'd be able to use the program if I didn't. We use the CD too, it's not necessary but helpful.