Menu

Anyone have experience with INHOME conference?

My kids and I really enjoy this conference. The vendor hall is usually pretty lame, but the workshops are well done and the kids' activities are great.

It's VERY different in focus and feel from the Cincinnati convention or ICHE, both of which are religious. Cincinnati is more academic (classical leanings). ICHE is more rah-rah and more conservative religious, though I found that the offerings at ICHE for new homeschoolers are good. ICHE also has a good vendor hall, though the Cincinnati vendor hall has been more extensive than that of ICHE.

InHome is a secular convention with unschooling leanings. As someone who embraces The Well-Trained Mind approach, you would think the InHome conference would not fit me well but that is not true. I have received some top-notch how-to at this conference. I think it's a GREAT conference for someone just starting out with homeschooling.

Bring your kids and sign them up for workshops as well. Just make sure you sign them up for a variety of different kinds of seminars (so they don't get sick and tired of doing art all day, for example). Also pack bathing suits--conference attendees can use the hotel pool whether or not you are staying overnight.

Highly recommended, though I haven't been in several years. That was always our kids' favorite conference. Try to go to something with Dorothy Werner.

My kids and I really enjoy this conference. The vendor hall is usually pretty lame, but the workshops are well done and the kids' activities are great.

It's VERY different in focus and feel from the Cincinnati convention or ICHE, both of which are religious. Cincinnati is more academic (classical leanings). ICHE is more rah-rah and more conservative religious, though I found that the offerings at ICHE for new homeschoolers are good. ICHE also has a good vendor hall, though the Cincinnati vendor hall has been more extensive than that of ICHE.

InHome is a secular convention with unschooling leanings. As someone who embraces The Well-Trained Mind approach, you would think the InHome conference would not fit me well but that is not true. I have received some top-notch how-to at this conference. I think it's a GREAT conference for someone just starting out with homeschooling.

Bring your kids and sign them up for workshops as well. Just make sure you sign them up for a variety of different kinds of seminars (so they don't get sick and tired of doing art all day, for example). Also pack bathing suits--conference attendees can use the hotel pool whether or not you are staying overnight.

I'm so glad to hear the positive feedback. I had considered the other conferences mentioned buy I specifically want to attend a secular convention. I noticed several workshops on unschooling, but found plenty of others that I know would be helpful to me as a new homeschooler. I know it will sound funny but I hadn't really considered taking the kids. :001_smile: I'll have to talk to DH and see what he thinks.

I'm getting more excited as we make more decisions down this homeschooling path.

I'm so glad to hear the positive feedback. I had considered the other conferences mentioned buy I specifically want to attend a secular convention. I noticed several workshops on unschooling, but found plenty of others that I know would be helpful to me as a new homeschooler. I know it will sound funny but I hadn't really considered taking the kids. :001_smile: I'll have to talk to DH and see what he thinks.

I'm getting more excited as we make more decisions down this homeschooling path.

Definitely take the kids. Just yesterday dd15 was telling me all kinds of happy memories from those conferences. She loved the kids' activities.

Don't be worried about the slight unschooling flavor. Those unschoolers can be a pretty smart, experienced, downright wise crowd.:D

We've been several times but haven't attended in a while. I think bringing the kids is a GREAT way to get them on board with homeschooling. The kids' sessions are so much fun! And it's just a fun thing to do as a family.

Edited by Annie G
typo

We've been going every year for the last 10 or so. My kids definitely look forward to it. Although there are always plenty of unschooling workshops, there is a variety to please almost everyone. Each year, the conference is different depending on who they can get to come out there, what suggestions the committee receives from attendees and what workshops are proposed by presenters. Since we don't do a "keynote speaker" format, it can be harder to get headliners. The presenters are a mix of nationally known speakers and homegrown talents (meaning experienced homeschoolers from the area.) I will be presenting two workshops with my dear friend, Charlene as well as selling Usborne Books in the vendor hall.

The vendor hall is small, which can be good or bad. Less overwhelming, but less selection. Smaller conferences were really hit hard by the downturn in the economy because vendors simply could not afford to go to as many conferences. Thus, smaller conferences were eliminated from their schedule. Also, they only come back if it is financially feasible. If people don't buy, they can't justify the travel and expense. Most vendors don't make a ton of money at these events, but we at least like to cover our costs and benefit from the advertising of just being in front of the public.

Another thing I love about this conference is that it is very welcoming of all types of homeschoolers. I love the fact that I will see Muslim families interacting with conservative Christian families interacting with goth-looking families.