Menu

Would you offer tutoring to a kid who *really* needs it?

My son's best friend, since they were 4, is a good kid, and I'm good friends with his parents. He just learned that he did not get into a magnet school that both of our boys applied, and my friend (his mom) confessed to me that his math test scores are not good at all-below grade level.

I know he's a bright kid. It's too late for the magnet, but I'm very much wanting to offer him some free tutoring in math. He's had a bit before, and I'm not sure if they stopped because of expense, or other reasons. I don't want to insult them. We are pretty good friends. She's NEVER had a critical word to say about our educational choices and I want to respect her choices as well. But I'm hurting for this boy and I want to do anything I can to help out.

What says the hive?

My son's best friend, since they were 4, is a good kid, and I'm good friends with his parents. He just learned that he did not get into a magnet school that both of our boys applied, and my friend (his mom) confessed to me that his math test scores are not good at all-below grade level.

I know he's a bright kid. It's too late for the magnet, but I'm very much wanting to offer him some free tutoring in math. He's had a bit before, and I'm not sure if they stopped because of expense, or other reasons. I don't want to insult them. We are pretty good friends. She's NEVER had a critical word to say about our educational choices and I want to respect her choices as well. But I'm hurting for this boy and I want to do anything I can to help out.

What says the hive?

I would. I tutor many of my friends' children, usually phonics, but I do math when husbands deploy or if they really need math help and cannot afford tutoring.

If she might be offended, you could swap for babysitting or something she does well that you need.

I might try to wait till the subject comes up and then offer, as if you just thought of it right then. As in, "you know something, I just had an idea - I'm teaching Bob math, and I'd be happy to go over some things with Johnny if that might help..."

I would. I tutor many of my friends' children, usually phonics, but I do math when husbands deploy or if they really need math help and cannot afford tutoring.

If she might be offended, you could swap for babysitting or something she does well that you need.

:iagree: I have tutored some kids like this before. In some ways it is hard because you are more emotionally connected to the family. But I would do it.