Menu

Can anyone tell me what kind of veggie steamer to buy?

My family is very deficient in vegetable eating! Steaming has always confused me. (I know that sounds idiotic but I was raised in the south and we boiled or fried!) Now I want to learn to steam vegetables and a friend told me they had a steamer that you don't use on the stove. Can someone tell me about this and recommend one? I think this might inspire us to eat more veggies!

My family is very deficient in vegetable eating! Steaming has always confused me. (I know that sounds idiotic but I was raised in the south and we boiled or fried!) Now I want to learn to steam vegetables and a friend told me they had a steamer that you don't use on the stove. Can someone tell me about this and recommend one? I think this might inspire us to eat more veggies!

If you don't mind that it is Tupperware and plastic, this one is great!

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_code=4000&fv_item_number=P10054890000

I know there has been discussion lately of the plastic things being bad. I have this one and love it. I hope it isn't one of those things that is not so good to use though.

Hmm...I have a steamer basket, but you use it on the stove. It's an insert that you put into the pot. The little ones open like flowers, which was all my mom ever had, but I've found that those won't really hold enough veggies for our fam. (Raised in the S here, too, lol.)

I've gotten a pot w/ another pot that fits inside. The inner one has holes & doesn't go all the way to the bottom. Same deal as the flower kind, just pricier & holds more veggies. Love it!

I have en electric one that sits on the counter but I don't use it much - all those little convenience appliances take more effort to clean than a pot that can be put into the dishwater :)

What I use more often is my spaghetti pot. It came with a deep insert for pasta that I use when I am cooking a lot of veggies, and it came with a shallow insert for smaller batches. I also use it to steam tamales when I make them, for steaming shrimp, crawdads..pretty much anything that needs it.