Menu

TOB 2nd Grade Experience?

momacacia

I'm thinking of TOG for my firstborn "second grader" next year (my other dd is 2). I know she would like the maps and the lapbooks, and we already supplement MFW-1 (which we're using now) with RS Math (B) and Phonics Road Level 1 and sometimes RS4K. So, at this point, MFW is really only Bible/History and sometimes science when I have my act together to do the little activities.

We think we'd like to end up in TOG eventually--at least by high school, maybe starting in 4th grade. But since I'm doing so much supplementing with MFW, I'm wondering about TOG for now? Adventures looks great, very sweet, all the things I love MFW for, but I'm wondering what the Year 2 (Amer. history?) second grade TOG experience would be like. Would we probably want to supplement Bible, or it is somewhat built in like it is in MFW? Would I be making myself crazy with TOG? (I love planning, but sometimes don't do well with all the library book ordering required with MFW???)

Thanks for any thoughts!

We are scoping out/planning to use TOG for grade 4, so we haven't used it yet, just done a LOT of research. Marcia Sommerville, the author of TOG does advocate that families who'd like to use TOG in the high school years start early, so they can learn how the system works, train their children using TOGs guidelines for independent learning, and learn the content THEMSELVES so they can be prepared to tackle socratic discussions with their children in junior and senior high.

You'd still need to add math, science, and some LA though, it isn't an all in one program. We are planning to use it for history, geography, some of our read-alouds and readers (though we'll do more than they recommend), Bible (in year 1), and as they hit the older years, I want to incorporate philosophy, church history, government, and worldview on deeper levels - this is WHY I want to switch to TOG. I only have year 1, unit 1 so far, and Bible is integrated pretty well, but I don't think it is in the future years (except for bringing it in to examine history/philosophy etc. in light of God's word) because those years are all occurring after the Bible was completed.

I'm sure a more experienced TOG mom will be by shortly :).

We recently started ToG and my kids (5 and 6 yo) are loving it! Plus, I'm learning cool things and making connections that I hadn't previously. I highly recommend starting if you think you might use it later, and that way you can get used to the program and be out of the "fog" before your kids get to the ages where it "counts." (Of course, I think it counts now, but I can't think of a better way to put it.)