Menu

Horse people, a question for you

My oldest dd, Anna, LOVES horses. She always has. She has taken riding lessons for years with a very sweet older lady who has become like family to us. But honestly, I feel like Anna has reached the point where she might need more than what she is getting at her lessons. Her teacher is wonderful with the horses, her horses are wonderful, and like I said, she is like family. But I'm wondering if we need to explore other avenues.

We are on our 2nd instructor. The first was all about competitions. She never taught her students about actual horse care and maintenance. It was just all about shows and competitions. Our current instructor is the opposite. She teaches the kids all about taking care of horses and what it really means to own, and be responsible for, a horse, along with the riding lessons. She does not show or compete. She is amazingly gifted with the horses, and she just really seems to know the horses. I hope that makes sense. She is obviously doing exactly what God intended her to do. But a lot of times, I feel like most of the lesson is spent on grooming. I understand that is important, but I don't think Anna is learning much new stuff. Her instructor is very much into gentle and natural training, which I do like.

On to the real dilemma/questions. My dd wants to make a career out of something horse related. She does not want to be a vet. She says she might want to train horses. I don't know what she really means by that. What kind of career can she have with horses? I am so ignorant about this. Of course, I realized she is only 10, but I think some people just have horses in their blood or something. Also, should I consider looking for a different instructor? What do I need to look for? IOW, what would be the next step now that she has a firm foundation in horse care, riding, and general horse/rider relationships?

Thank you! I know this probably doesn't make much sense, but for one thing, I had to take pain medicine tonight for my neck, and for another, I know next to nothing about horses, unless of course we are talking about how to beat a dead one. :D

At 10, she is in the thick of the "horse-crazy" years.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. The best thing she can do right now is what she has been doing, spending time around the barn, watching others more experienced, learning and getting lots of hands-on experience of her own with different horses and situations.

Wait a few years until she discovers boys. You may see a radical change in her priorities :D.

Let me give you my perspective as a parent of a horse-crazy DD:

My DD has started riding horses when she was 10. She works with a teacher who I really respect and like. Her teacher's priority is the rider's safety, so she will not let a student advance to a new skill unless she is convinced that the student will be safe doing this. Which means, yes, a beginner might be working on a posting trot for a year or more before allowed to canter if she is not doing it perfectly. That can sometimes be frustrating for the students, so the teacher needs to be good at motivating and explaining.

If you have concerns about your DD not progressing, you should bring it up with her teacher and ask for an explanation. It may well be that there are similar reasons - she just might not be "ready". I take it as a sign of a responsible teacher that she does not advance her own agenda but progresses at the student's pace - there are inherent risks with riding, and a teacher should not give in to parental or student pressure and use her professional judgment about advancing.

My kids have to groom their horses before and after lesson; so for a 90 minute lesson, 45 minutes may be spent of actual riding, the rest is preparing the horse and caring for him afterwards.

At this age, I would not worry about your DD's career plans. My 13 y/o has began leasing and training a horse this fall. It goes slowly,b because, even after almost four years of instruction, she is not a proficient rider, even though she has talent. I suggest that, when your DD is older, you inquire about possibilities to train horses at the barn where she rides... it might morph into a career, or she might just keep it a hobby. 10y/o is too early to make firm decisions ;-)

So, I suggest you talk to the instructor about your DD's progress and find out what the teacher's philosophy is before considering a switch.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. The best thing she can do right now is what she has been doing, spending time around the barn, watching others more experienced, learning and getting lots of hands-on experience of her own with different horses and situations.

Wait a few years until she discovers boys. You may see a radical change in her priorities :D.

:iagree:

:svengo: BOYS?!? EEEKKK!!! :lol:

I agree that she is very young, but if you knew her, you would see what I mean. I honestly believe she has found what she wants to do. I just want to make sure I am fostering that dream of hers, ya know? Thanks for your post, well except the boy part, haha!

Let me give you my perspective as a parent of a horse-crazy DD:

My DD has started riding horses when she was 10. She works with a teacher who I really respect and like. Her teacher's priority is the rider's safety, so she will not let a student advance to a new skill unless she is convinced that the student will be safe doing this. Which means, yes, a beginner might be working on a posting trot for a year or more before allowed to canter if she is not doing it perfectly. That can sometimes be frustrating for the students, so the teacher needs to be good at motivating and explaining.

If you have concerns about your DD not progressing, you should bring it up with her teacher and ask for an explanation. It may well be that there are similar reasons - she just might not be "ready". I take it as a sign of a responsible teacher that she does not advance her own agenda but progresses at the student's pace - there are inherent risks with riding, and a teacher should not give in to parental or student pressure and use her professional judgment about advancing.

My kids have to groom their horses before and after lesson; so for a 90 minute lesson, 45 minutes may be spent of actual riding, the rest is preparing the horse and caring for him afterwards.

At this age, I would not worry about your DD's career plans. My 13 y/o has began leasing and training a horse this fall. It goes slowly,b because, even after almost four years of instruction, she is not a proficient rider, even though she has talent. I suggest that, when your DD is older, you inquire about possibilities to train horses at the barn where she rides... it might morph into a career, or she might just keep it a hobby. 10y/o is too early to make firm decisions ;-)

So, I suggest you talk to the instructor about your DD's progress and find out what the teacher's philosophy is before considering a switch.

Thank you for posting! Yes, I will talk to her teacher. I just don't want her to think we aren't happy. One thing I forgot to mention is that this teacher only has Pasofino horses, so there is a limit on the types of trots, etc, if I am understanding correctly.

I would suggest she join 4H. You do not need to own your own horse, you can use one that belongs to your trainer (with their permission) or you can do 'horseless horse' project.

In our county, we are in NE Florida, we have both English and Western oriented clubs. We also have Hippology teams, they spend the program year learning information on topics including nutrition, breeding, training, anatomy, tack, and horse businesses. They compete at the state level in Hippology and Horse bowl. There is also a competitive program in Horse Judging.

As for careers there is a large variety of work that involves horses. Horse association managers and show organizers, breeders, trainers, boarding stables, feed stores, people physical therapists that use horses, and horse physical therapists that rehabilitate abused horses.

Even if she doesn't stay with this career choice in the long run much of what she can learn would apply to other fields.

I would suggest she join 4H. You do not need to own your own horse, you can use one that belongs to your trainer (with their permission) or you can do 'horseless horse' project.

In our county, we are in NE Florida, we have both English and Western oriented clubs. We also have Hippology teams, they spend the program year learning information on topics including nutrition, breeding, training, anatomy, tack, and horse businesses. They compete at the state level in Hippology and Horse bowl. There is also a competitive program in Horse Judging.

As for careers there is a large variety of work that involves horses. Horse association managers and show organizers, breeders, trainers, boarding stables, feed stores, people physical therapists that use horses, and horse physical therapists that rehabilitate abused horses.

Even if she doesn't stay with this career choice in the long run much of what she can learn would apply to other fields.

She used to be in a horse club in 4H, but it isn't active any longer. :(

:iagree:it's time to find another 4-h club or look into Pony Club. Pony club will only be English and will have an emphasis on competion, but it is extrememly thorough in the overall horse knowledge dept.

In 4h look into the Vet Science and Hippology projects. Where you are located you should have access to many Pony Clubs. Go visit, visit a competion or testing. In pony club they advance sytematicly thru different levels starting at D3, D2, D1, C3, C2, C2, and beyond.

Hope that helps!

So sorry, I can't post a coherent reply yet. I'm too drugged up! I'm making an effort to read the replies so far and will post stuff later. One thing I can suggest is a subscription to Equus and Horse and Rider magazines. They are both chock full of info on the scientific stuff as well as great riging instruction. I'd also recomment reading anything by Clinton Anderson, John Lyonns, Lynn Palm, Bob Avila, Chris Cox or any of the trainers highlighted in Horse and Rider. Just readong these you both will learn a ton of stuff.

4H is great and being in the hippology or horse bowl and horse judging contests would be highly educationsl.

Can't think anymore - will post more later - head bobbing back and forth! :lol: