Menu

Discover and Do DVDs

Dawn E

I am curious about these DVDs and would love some feedback from those of you who use them. I've seen the sample videos at Sonlight, but still have questions. Do the DVDs have a particular theme with each level? I mean, do the experiments correlate to the topic of study for that year, or are they just basic science experiments as an extra? Also, can these be implemented alone, or do you have to purchase extras from Sonlight?

I am planning to use God's Design for Earth next year, but like the idea of having one of these DVDs for off weeks.

Thanks so much for your input.

Dawn

They are co-ordinated to the science lessons Sonlight puts out. They go along with the "science activities" books by usborne. We have done these the past two years. Basically, you do the experiment in the book and then watch the video of the guy doing the experiment you just did. The experiments are very simple to do and the video is fun to watch. My ds asked to watch them one day when he was sick. It's not a stand alone DVD. What you don't need to do is the whole science program by Sonlight - just the coordinating Science Activities book.

Beth

Discover and Do K coordinates with Science Activities Volume 2 Science With Air, Science in the Kitchen, Science with Plants), Discover and Do Level 1 coordinates with Science Activities Volume 1 (Science With Water, Science with Magnets, Science with Light and Mirrors), and Discover and Do Level 3 coordinates with Science Activities Volume 3 (Science With Weather, Science and Your Body, Science with Batteries). Yes, Volume 2 goes first, then 1, then 3.

The experiments, science activity books, and DVDs are unrelated to the other science reading you will do.

I am planning to do the experiments and watch the DVD for K this summer as a "summer science camp" since we had a hard time getting to them during the year.

Like the poster said up above me . Sometimes they can seem a little corny to the parents but the kids love them. We still have our 1st Discover and Do DVD here even though we completed it along time ago . My girls still like to pop them in and watch them . I think they are worth it :>) My girls especially like to watch the experiements that didn't work outtakes .

Popping in to ask a question as well! Is it necessary to purchase the non-consumable and consumable supplies kit to use the the DVD and book? Or is it just good to have because everything is all together?