Menu

More questions for Muslims

Christians have different denominations and each denomination interprets the Bible differently.

Because one of my questions is about homosexuality, I'll use this as an example. Some denominations believe homosexuality is wrongwrongwrong. Others have homosexual pastors. And there are some denominations in between. There is a wide range of beliefs, obviously. As a Christian, I can choose to worship with those who believe the same way I do.

What about Islam? I know some Muslims believe homosexuality is execution-worthy. Do all Muslims believe this? (If they do, how do they accept the US law?)

Are there gray areas of the Q'uran that are up to different interpretations, like there are in the Bible?

If I feel my church is teaching the Bible incorrectly, I have many options from which to choose. Do Muslims? Are there Mosques that teach and worship differently?

Thank you for helping me learn more. I've been very confused about some Islamic beliefs lately.

I don't have a lot of time to go into too much depth now, but I can give some answers.

As in all religions you can find exceptions to the rule. So if one tried hard they could find Muslims that accept the practice of homosexuality. But to say that this is the minority right now is an understatement. As the next generation is exposed to the acceptance of the practice it is hard to say what will happen in the future though. From what I understand homosexuality in itself is not punishable by death, but if a person is caught engaging in homosexual acts then it is. Muslims are also not allowed to dress or act in a way that emulates the opposite sex.

From what I have experienced most mosques in the U.S. have a standard understanding of Qur'anic teachings. There are different schools of thought, but none deviate from what are largely conservative views. There may be debate among the people, but not enough that it would change the way the Qur'an is interpreted and practiced as a community. The other differences in practice of the faith in general is between Shi'a and Sunnis, but that would take a lot longer to explain and, as far as homosexuality, the viewpoint would be the same.

Hope that gives some information.

Lesley

I'll have a go - but I'm not totally sure what question you're asking. Do you want to know about different denominations, homosexuality, or following US laws??

In terms of denominations yes there are different 'schools of thought', but in general the differences are fairly minor. There are a small amount of mosques who worship differently, but I do not think there is anywhere near the 'choice' that you find between churches. An important point I think is that there is only ONE Quran - every single copy you come across says EXACTLY the same thing - not the case with the Bible.

There is a big difference between Sunni and Shia which is too complex for me to answer properly. There is a lady on here who is Shia- she could explain it MUCH better than me.

There are many verses in Quran that people interpret differently. As with the Bible, if you take certain verses out of context you can make it appear that the Quran says anything that you want.

In regards homosexuality, you will find that the VAST MAJORITY of muslims, regardless of their school of thought, think that this is sinful. You will be able to find examples of muslims who are homosexual though. I was not aware that homosexuality is punishable by death.

Regarding following US laws - a muslim is required as a part of their faith to follow the laws of the country in which they reside. A practising muslim ought to be a 'model citizen'.

Christians have different denominations and each denomination interprets the Bible differently.

Because one of my questions is about homosexuality, I'll use this as an example. Some denominations believe homosexuality is wrongwrongwrong. Others have homosexual pastors. And there are some denominations in between. There is a wide range of beliefs, obviously. As a Christian, I can choose to worship with those who believe the same way I do.

What about Islam? I know some Muslims believe homosexuality is execution-worthy. Do all Muslims believe this? (If they do, how do they accept the US law?)

Are there gray areas of the Q'uran that are up to different interpretations, like there are in the Bible?

If I feel my church is teaching the Bible incorrectly, I have many options from which to choose. Do Muslims? Are there Mosques that teach and worship differently?

Thank you for helping me learn more. I've been very confused about some Islamic beliefs lately.

There is a pretty big difference in understanding of what it means to be a homosexual in the US vs. some other countries. That difference alone makes this pretty hard to discuss. For example, pederasty is extremely common is some supposedly strict Islamic countries.

There is a pretty big difference in understanding of what it means to be a homosexual in the US vs. some other countries. That difference alone makes this pretty hard to discuss. For example, pederasty is extremely common is some supposedly strict Islamic countries.

Yes, but what people do in a supposedly strict Islamic country is not always a true relection of what the religion says.

I'll have a go - but I'm not totally sure what question you're asking. Do you want to know about different denominations, homosexuality, or following US laws??

I think from reading the OP that it's all of the above being asked esp since it says questions not question. At least that is my take on the questions.

Yes, but what people do in a supposedly strict Islamic country is not always a true relection of what the religion says.

I wasn't questioning that at all. BUT, even though pederasty is common, they do *not* consider themselves homosexual. I'm saying, the mindset in many supposedly strict Islamic countries (which may or may not be following the religion as you or other Muslims may follow it) is so different, that how can one even begin to address it? Do you see what I mean?

Mrs Mungo - I do understand what you're getting at. But I think my point still stands. There is the divine, perfect religion and the imperfect, fallible people. A sin is still sin regardless of what you call it, and regardless of how a culture views it. ('A rose by any other name would smell as sweet')

Mrs Mungo - I do understand what you're getting at. But I think my point still stands. There is the divine, perfect religion and the imperfect, fallible people. A sin is still sin regardless of what you call it, and regardless of how a culture views it. ('A rose by any other name would smell as sweet')

I agree. However, the OP seems to be speaking of a cultural attitude when she says, "I know some Muslims believe homosexuality is execution-worthy," rather than a strictly religious attitude. It's a problem when it comes to discussing religion, in general.

In regards homosexuality, you will find that the VAST MAJORITY of muslims, regardless of their school of thought, think that this is sinful. You will be able to find examples of muslims who are homosexual though.

Here's a place to look for those examples: A Jihad for Love I've linked the wikipedia article, but they have their own website.

Rosie

Hi!

Re: homosexuality. It's a sin in Islam. I'm not fully knowledgable about the punishment for it, so I'll not venture any guesses. However, many things are forbidden, and homosexuality is one of them. Now, about accepting US law, well, many things go against our religious beliefs, but as long as we're free to practice then that's fine. (and I'm thankful for that)

As for gray areas: well, let's put it this way. In Islam, actions of worship are very black and white as to what is and is not acceptable. Manners of praying and worship are specific and shouldn't be deviated from. Thanks to this, most Muslims worship the same way. There are some small sects, but they do not represent the majority of what Islam is (and they do acknowledge that too). Now for our ACTIONS.... well, Islam says everything is permissible except for the few things that have been forbidden. This is where you'll find the gray areas. Some people will want ot err on the side of caution while others are tempted by the other side and are willing to push the boundaries. Either way, we're all Muslims b/c we all believe that there is no God but the One God, and that Muhammad is His messenger.

About how if your church isn't teaching the Bible like you like and finding a new one, we don't really have that. Unless you are part of a sect, which is a minority. Most mosques teach the Quran from the Sunnah and from trusted scholars. We're picky about sources, so if they're not authentic and well known, most Muslims won't take your advice hehe.

To summarize, we're pretty much all on the same page as Sunni's. That's like 80% of Muslims. Sure, you'll find people who've changed things around, but they are a minority. They do have their own mosques and leaders, and you wouldn't find a Sunni Muslim associated with their mosques. I can walk into any mosque in the US and be greeted with a smile and a handshake, and maybe even a hug :)