Menu

For foster parents

If you are currently a foster parent or have done foster care in the past, do you have any good book recommendations? I looked on Amazon and I can't possibly read all of them. Do you have a favorite? The social worker that came to our house recommended "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" that was written by biological parents for foster parents (we actually have to read it as an assignment as part of our family plan). Any others? I would also like some geared toward kids explaining foster care. (explaining it to our own biological kids)

If you don't have any book recommendations, do you have any great advice? We are hoping to start taking placements by early summer. We are about half way through our licensing process. Our Family Service Coordinator will be coming out in the next few weeks to help us fill out our foster care license packet. Anyway, thanks for your help!

Edited by MyBlueLobsters

Of the ones I read, I liked

Adopting the Hurt Child : Hope for Families with Special-Needs Kids by Gregory C Keck.

Attaching in Adoption : Practical Tools for Today's Parents by Deborah D. Gray

(They aren't just applicable to adoption, but to parenting traumatized children.)

Oh! He mentioned "Adopting the Hurt Child" Thanks!

The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook: What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love and Healing by Bruce Perry

This book was recommended to me by our social worker and it's an awesome book. It's very entertaining, but you also learn a lot!

Of the ones I read, I liked

Adopting the Hurt Child : Hope for Families with Special-Needs Kids by Gregory C Keck.

Attaching in Adoption : Practical Tools for Today's Parents by Deborah D. Gray

(They aren't just applicable to adoption, but to parenting traumatized children.)

:iagree: I've read both of them and they helped us a lot.