Menu

Science videos for high school?

Hi :)

I am creating a two year integrated science course for my daughter. I have textbook, lab, and living book components chosen, but I would like to add some videos as well.

I am not looking for a "complete" course necessarily, but I don't mind picking and choosing what segments we watch. I'd love videos that are interesting, maybe funny, show demonstrations and/or experiments - like Billy Nye but for older children.

I researched the DIVE cds, and while the right price, they aren't the engaging media I am looking for. Physics in Your Life (TTC) looks promising. My daughter will be doing an upper level chemistry course at the community college in a few years, and she'll be taking geometry, so I am not looking for heavy math based videos.

The other requirement is that these be actual hard copy videos or cd-roms. We use a broadband card with limited downloading space per month. Most online videos are too large for us to use on a regular basis.

Any other options I should look into? TIA!!

You can purchase DVD's for Georgia Public Broadcasting videos for Chemistry and Physics on Amazon if you can't watch them online. There are 4 classes per DVD (if I remember correctly).

For Physics, they used Conceptual Physics, Holt Physics ($2.74 + ph), and Merrill's Physics Principles and Problems.

I'm not sure what books they use for Chemistry.

And you can get the Teacher's materials CD for free when you purchase just one of the Amazon DVD's. On this link, people talk about downloading the videos and buying the teacher's DVD.

Joan

ETA: This reminds me that I need to check about downloading the videos. Last I heard, someone had a problem. We're not doing either course this year and have been too pressed for time to try.

Edited by Joan in Geneva

Thank you both for responding!

Can I get the Khan videos on dvd or cd-rom? Those look great :) So do the GPB videos! They are pretty pricey to buy, but on the thread you linked, some people were able to download them. I couldn't do that with my home computer, but maybe dh could do it at work.

Thank you :)

Thank you both for responding!

Can I get the Khan videos on dvd or cd-rom? Those look great :) So do the GPB videos! They are pretty pricey to buy, but on the thread you linked, some people were able to download them. I couldn't do that with my home computer, but maybe dh could do it at work.

Thank you :)

Jeni...

You can come over here anytime and download whatever you need to!

- My son liked TTC Physics in Your Life, which you mentioned.

- He's now enjoying TTC Physics Beyond The Edge.

- We occasionally watch Moody science videos, which are a bit more in-depth than Bill Nye, but still just one-day extras.

- I'm interested in Biology 101.

- Howard Hughes Institute provides free videos to educators on tons of science topics. They *love* evolution there, so heads up on that if it matters to you, but there are some really interesting ones on genes & more.

- Videos on biographies and inventions and such can be interesting. We often use Netflix.

Julie

So do the GPB videos! They are pretty pricey to buy, but on the thread you linked, some people were able to download them. I couldn't do that with my home computer, but maybe dh could do it at work.

I edited into my other post that some people were having trouble with the downloading (see above). I'm not techy myself.

Were you able to watch even one at home? If your Internet subscription is by the month, maybe you could try at the end of Feb and use up any remaining time? Not sure how that all works though.

What is nice about the GPB videos is that there are students doing the experiments, and a mixture of lecture, little videos, and problem work. I think the problem work helps precision of measuring, eg vectors, as she does it all very neatly (for scientific measurement, it generally gives a better example than work on the chalk board)

I can only speak for Physics, since that is the course we used. If your student(s) are doing a science track, I would use these to supplement a more serious book. It all depends on the level of physics you are teaching. It is definitely not AP level, and not even SAT II level. But it is a good introduction. And if you get the Teacher CD, it has the answers to the little quizzes, as well as other quizzes, tests, the lab sheets, etc.

One thing the experiments do not have, is how to deal with experiments that do not work.:001_smile: This is an important part of science. Maybe someone knows of science videos that show how to deal with experiments not working?

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva