Menu

What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of TOG LG?

jer2911mom

Ah, if only you knew how accurate that drooly smiley is! :lol:

I'm all:

:001_tt1::drool:

Over TOG now! I'm so surprised by myself, but the more I look, the more it makes sense to me, particularly for the long haul (already have 4 dc on the ground!)

Have you checked out the Teacher Training videos? They are awesome, and really give you a much better idea of the TOG is all about. My favorites are "Out of the Shrink Wrap" (this one is great even if you aren't using TOG I think!) as well as "Tailoring Tapestry to Fit". http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_101

I didn't know these had gone up to $10.....they were $7 awhile back. Hmm, well if you can afford them they are really great.

Have you checked out the Teacher Training videos? http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100_101

I grabbed the teaching thinking skills one when they had a free coupon for it last year. I plan to buy the entire set when I order my print Y1 in 2012. Out of the Shrink Wrap looks wonderful!

Yes - I did say 'when'! :lol: I'm done for!

I grabbed the teaching thinking skills one when they had a free coupon for it last year. I plan to buy the entire set when I order my print Y1 in 2012. Out of the Shrink Wrap looks wonderful!

Yes - I did say 'when'! :lol: I'm done for!

:party: Now that's what I'm talking about eh!

Tina, they should totally make you a rep! I wish they would be at Memphis, but they seem to mostly be at smaller conventions?

I was wondering about that also. They are coming to BC but going to Kelowna :confused:! We have a convention a short distance from my home and we are a much bigger market. I wasn't looking to rep since I don't feel I could do TOG justice at this early stage of our TOG journey, but I was really hoping to hear Marcia speak :(.

ya'll are starting my day with a huge smile :) I love all the TOG love.

Say a prayer for me. I'm hoping to get to be a rep in their booth during convention. They haven't chosen yet. I wish they would accept letters of rec. :)

Don't worry, you are probably on the top of the list ;).

ya'll are starting my day with a huge smile :) I love all the TOG love.

Say a prayer for me. I'm hoping to get to be a rep in their booth during convention. They haven't chosen yet. I wish they would accept letters of rec. :)

I would definitely write one for you!

Tina, they should totally make you a rep! I wish they would be at Memphis, but they seem to mostly be at smaller conventions?
Thank you ;)

Don't worry, you are probably on the top of the list ;).
I sure hope so. I think my post count is 3/4 TOG + PR :)

Our convention is huge...17K-20K over 3 days. Marcia is also speaking. I hope I don't miss that :)

I also get to visit with Mrs. Beers :) I'm hoping she'll recognize my name so I can feel special (tee hee :D). I'm such a stalker...:tongue_smilie:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up an old post..... But the mention of YR 1 being updated in 2012....hmmm, should I wait? Even though with DE I would get the updates for the future? Does it really matter?

Still trying to decide if I should just jump in and use TOG. I am a bit intimidated by it and not sure if it would be a good fit for my 3rd grader and 1st grader (with 2 younger ones running around...). I printed out the 1 week sample for Yr 1!!!! Yikes!!! Lots of stuff there.

OK. It is hard for me to buy something that I know is being revised currently. :tongue_smilie:

I don't think that there is any harm in getting it now, as it does take some prep time when you first get it. But you may not want to buy any books until you have the updates. But OTOH, with DE, you will have access to the materials for the old books should you want to buy them.

Sorry to bring up an old post..... But the mention of YR 1 being updated in 2012....hmmm, should I wait? Even though with DE I would get the updates for the future? Does it really matter?

Still trying to decide if I should just jump in and use TOG. I am a bit intimidated by it and not sure if it would be a good fit for my 3rd grader and 1st grader (with 2 younger ones running around...). I printed out the 1 week sample for Yr 1!!!! Yikes!!! Lots of stuff there.

OK. It is hard for me to buy something that I know is being revised currently. :tongue_smilie:

I would wait until I was comfortable that this is the curriculum I am looking for. As for the updates, since you are considering DE, I wouldn't worry about it. I bought Years 1-3 when DE first came out. Yes, this is how confident I was that I had found what I was looking for. I just update my year plans when I need to. No big deal. As for the books, I am not sure if there will be any changes there but either way TOG will give you the older pages from the year plan you may need if you are using an older book. Keep in mind that this happens with new books also. Updates are made twice a year (as I recall) to the Year plans, so I had to get the info from the updates page for the new books that were added. No big deal there either. I think the important thing is to decide if TOG is the way you want to go for your family. If so you will figure out the rest ;) and we are all here to help with what info we can provide also :).

Edited by Guest

I just wanted to say thank you for this excellent thread and for all the ladies here asking smart questions and sharing smart answers! I appreciate all the experience I get to "soak in" and hopefully it rubs off!:001_smile:

I'm ready to take the TOG plunge. Blessings, Angie

No need to wait. The updates will be more heavily focused on D questions, not so much the rest. The purpose of the overhaul was to make the year 1 Discussion ??? more similar in nature to the other year plans. As 4everc said, the info. will be readily available to you either way.

Remember! You don't have to do it all! But at least you can choose from a nice variety.

I just wanted to say thank you for this excellent thread and for all the ladies here asking smart questions and sharing smart answers! I appreciate all the experience I get to "soak in" and hopefully it rubs off!:001_smile:

I'm ready to take the TOG plunge. Blessings, Angie

Good for you. It was the best dive we ever took into humanities!