Menu

Stick w/ SOTW or Switch to K12HO?

DS(10) is just about to finish up SOTW2 and we'll be starting our new history curriculum in April. It's time to make a decision and get my order in!! I have LOVED the SOTW series thus far and feel like we're in our groove. I just feel like the reading level is a bit below my ds at this point. I'm just wondering if I should order K12HO vol 2 for him, or stick with SOTW3? I wish we were moving into SOTW4 as I would LOVE the help with introducing outlining and such but that doesn't happen until the 4th book of SOTW. Does K12HO have any outlining instruction? I know it comes with the workbook and teacher book if you buy through K12, what are some of the assignments in the workbook like? Are they busy work or do they seem to line up fairly well with TWTM history suggestions? Are there additional History & Lit suggestions with K12HO?

The MAIN reason I would stick with the SOTW series is because I already have vol 1 & 2 and will be using the 4 volume set with my littles in the coming years. It would definitely be an investment. AND--DS will be able to do the K12HO courses in the coming years, regardless of whether we start them in 5th grade, or 7th, yk?

I'm just rambling... thinking out loud!!!! Any advice or suggestions/BTDT would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :D

TIA! :)

I do not know about K12HO. I have done SOTW with my two sons. My older one is done with the series. My younger one is in volume 3 right now. The reading level steps up in volume 3 and 4. It focuses more on the facts rather than myths and legends. You could just have your son outline in volume 3. I have my son take tests and read some of the extra reading that needs to be done.

Also just to tell you what I did with my older son. He did two history programs to step things up a bit. I had him read SOTW like a book and narrate while he did another history program. You could do it that way too. So, maybe you could combine K12HO with SOTW vol. 3.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I threw out my daughter's Volume 2 workbooks at the end of last year, so I don't have them around to give you an example, but they really are very good. They contain a mixture of comprehension questions, charts and graphs to fill out, essay questions, and extra writing assignments (write a diary entry detailing your life as a child factory worker in the Industrial Revolution, write a short research paper on , etc.). There's a fair amount of "original document" analysis. I saw all the assignments as valuable and required my daughter to do all of them.

The workbook is only part of the course. There is online content as well, including short lessons which reinforce the book's material, online games, and tests.

K12 does not expect the student to outline the textbook.

However, the Volume 2 material was written for 8th graders. Just wanted to make you aware. I personally wouldn't rush a younger child into it unless he was very advanced and chomping at the bit to learn more history.

Both!! :D

Ok, I've only used SOTW 1 with a 2nd grader. But I think I will use both SOTW and k12 HO with my 5th grader this fall.

ETA: I just reread your post, and I seem to be having comprehension issues this morning.... If I were in the middle of the history sequence, I'd be holding off on HO. I'm kinda nervous about starting a middle school text with a 5th grader. But I don't want to wait until 9th. I think 7th would be perfect (but take that advice with a chunk of salt, since I haven't actually used the book yet...)

Edited by bonniebeth4

The reading level steps up in volume 3 and 4.

THIS is great to know!!!

I think, after a night of sleeping on it ;), that we will stick with what we know--with what's working!!! We just inherited a nice set of encyclopedia's (FREE from uncle Craig's list) that we can put to good use for deeper study and outlining, etc...I just have to keep telling myself we WILL get to use, HO -- when the time is right!!! :D Maybe since we won't be buying the littles history curric he'll be able to do the online course too...??

Again, rambling & thinking aloud! ;)

Thanks for the thoughts, ladies! :)

Also just to tell you what I did with my older son. He did two history programs to step things up a bit. I had him read SOTW like a book and narrate while he did another history program. You could do it that way too. So, maybe you could combine K12HO with SOTW vol. 3.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

:iagree:

This is my plan for the coming year. We will do K12 HO 1 together, then DS will read SOTW 1 out loud to his Little Sister. I like the idea of outlining, but with DS's problems with reading/writing, we're going to wait awhile.