Menu

Help with History

I was all set to do a final look at MFW AHL during the Greenvile convention. It would be for my dd's 9th grade year next year. Today we were talking with her dad, a history teacher, about studying Ancient history and she said she really doesn't like ancient history, but prefers more modern. I mentioned that the first year of MFW was Creation to the Greeks, and she was fairly upset at the idea of a whole year on it.

This will be my first year with a high school student. How much should I consider her interests in choosing the curricula? I want something that challenges her, especially in Bible and writing. I loved that she would read the entire bible over 2 years. I know I could have her do that anyway, but I looked forward to seeing what else it involved.

I've heard good things about Notgrass world history which MFW uses the first two years. Should I just do it in one year for world history? I think the company only has 3 credits for high school social studies, and I would like for her to have 4.

Thanks for any advice!

This will be my first year with a high school student. How much should I consider her interests in choosing the curricula?

I've no experience with the specific curriculum that you mentioned; however, concerning the above question you might find this recent thread of interest:

Do you let your High School students choose their own curriculum?

Regards,

Kareni

I've no experience with the specific curriculum that you mentioned; however, concerning the above question you might find this recent thread of interest:

Do you let your High School students choose their own curriculum?

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for posting the thread. It was helpful to understand how others approach this issue. I do want to consider her interests and her input. Our whole family is going to the convention in Greenville so I should be able to get some input from her. I've just got to do more research again so that I can lay those choices out for her.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for Bible, history, and literature besides MFW? I loved that it was all planned out and in one curricula.

I've looked at TOG, but don't think she should do the Rhetoric level of it for Ancients. She read several of the selections for Dialectic stage during her Ancients study in 6th grade.

What are other good options?

Well, if you are looking for suggestions for other options, have you considered Ambleside Online? Year 7 covers the Middle Ages. It looks fantastic. I have considered using it for my daughter next year, but I am also considering using MODG for her because she is leaning towards wanting to do American History and Lit. I'd also have to modify Ambleside some because I'd like to add in Catholic religion. Anyway, if I didn't have concerns about modifying AO, I'd probably put my rising 9th grader in Year 7 in the fall. When we used AO in the past, it was very manageable and a very worthwhile year for all of us. Also, AO leaves Ancient History to 12th grade.

Best wishes.:001_smile:

Well, if you are looking for suggestions for other options, have you considered Ambleside Online? Year 7 covers the Middle Ages. It looks fantastic. I have considered using it for my daughter next year, but I am also considering using MODG for her because she is leaning towards wanting to do American History and Lit. I'd also have to modify Ambleside some because I'd like to add in Catholic religion. Anyway, if I didn't have concerns about modifying AO, I'd probably put my rising 9th grader in Year 7 in the fall. When we used AO in the past, it was very manageable and a very worthwhile year for all of us. Also, AO leaves Ancient History to 12th grade.

Best wishes.:001_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. Does year 7 mean that it is intended for 7th graders? If so, what will you be doing to make it high school credit worthy?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. Does year 7 mean that it is intended for 7th graders? If so, what will you be doing to make it high school credit worthy?

No, it's definitely not considered 7th grade level--I think AO mentions this on their site, that Year levels do not equal grade levels. In fact, I think the readings for Year 7 would be tough for most 7th graders. I think if you look at the reading list, you will see that the books would be appropriate for any level of high school IMO. They are not easy books. The spine they recommend is Birth of Britain by Churchill, for example. I would use high school level science, math, and foreign language, and incorporate the language arts recommendations that they make for high school level students. I believe on the site, there is an overview of language arts scope and sequence for Years 7 and up. As for the history, lit and other readings, I think it is a challenging course load for any level of high schooler and worthy of high school level credit.

Edited by Violet

Amy,

I don't know what you've done in the past, but for many folks, "ancient history" means Egypt, Greece, and Rome. What does your dd think of when you say "ancient history"? You might explain to her that AHL is a study of the beginning, of creation in detail, of why the world ended up as messed up as it is. It is a chance to investigate our faith and see if it stands up against science or against other early religions. AHL is more foundational than just "starting at the beginning of history." It's starting at the beginning of our world today.

I realize AHL isn't for everyone, but just thought I'd add another way to discuss the topic.

Julie

I agree with what others have said about MFW AHL. My dd thought at first that she wouldn't want to do ancients again, so I thought of skipping it. When I showed her what all the MFW included, she decided to try it (I may push her one direction I might feel is best for her, but I won't get a whole curriculum that she is adamantly opposed to!). Well, she's in week 22 and is loving it! So glad we went with AHL!

However, if your dd is adamantly opposed to it, you could try TruthQuest. It's not as laid out, but it's a beautiful guide! They have many different eras of history that you could choose from.

http://www.truthquesthistory.com/

Amy,

I don't know what you've done in the past, but for many folks, "ancient history" means Egypt, Greece, and Rome. What does your dd think of when you say "ancient history"? You might explain to her that AHL is a study of the beginning, of creation in detail, of why the world ended up as messed up as it is. It is a chance to investigate our faith and see if it stands up against science or against other early religions. AHL is more foundational than just "starting at the beginning of history." It's starting at the beginning of our world today.

I realize AHL isn't for everyone, but just thought I'd add another way to discuss the topic.

Julie

Thank you for the comments. By saying Ancients she does mean early history as you mentioned. She really only has one year experience with Ancients, which was in 6th grade and using MOH Vol. 1. When I was explaining that the first year was Creation to the Greeks and the second year was Rome to modern, she felt that would be too much detail for the earliest history and not enough detail for time periods she prefers.

Whatever we decide, she will study Ancients in some form or fashion.

I agree with what others have said about MFW AHL. My dd thought at first that she wouldn't want to do ancients again, so I thought of skipping it. When I showed her what all the MFW included, she decided to try it (I may push her one direction I might feel is best for her, but I won't get a whole curriculum that she is adamantly opposed to!). Well, she's in week 22 and is loving it! So glad we went with AHL!

However, if your dd is adamantly opposed to it, you could try TruthQuest. It's not as laid out, but it's a beautiful guide! They have many different eras of history that you could choose from.

http://www.truthquesthistory.com/

Thank you for the encouragement. I really want her to use MFW AHL. I am wondering if I could take the second year and expand it so that she could study some of the history she's interested in at a more indepth level. She would still need credits in American and Econ/Gov, though. Decisions, decisions!!!:confused:

I have been going back forth on this one myself. I love the look of MFW, but we are supposed to be going into early modern next year when my dd starts 9th grade. Right now I am leaning toward MFW anyway. I have a sneaky feeling that I will wish I had if I don't!

BTW, I will be at the Greenville convention too!! I am excited about getting a chance to really look at it in real life.

Thank you for the encouragement. I really want her to use MFW AHL. I am wondering if I could take the second year and expand it so that she could study some of the history she's interested in at a more indepth level. She would still need credits in American and Econ/Gov, though. Decisions, decisions!!!:confused:
How does she do with Grammar and writing skills? From what I've heard, MFW WHL is a step up from the AHL. There's more and "deeper" writing, research and other skills required. AHL kind of introduces it all to get them ready for the heavier stuff the next year. HOWEVER, I think I just read that somewhere on here, so someone who has used the WHL could tell you that better.

If you're going to do Ancient history one way or another, then AHL is wonderful! It is VERY different than MOH, and acknowledges that the student is more advanced than Jr. High level. It can be demanding, yet encouraging, and with the variety of readings, including the word for word Bible, it's always interesting!

You're NOT a slave to the Lessons Plans they provide, so you could look them over and take out some, or change some or add some, using the plans as a guide. However, it IS a bit expensive paying that much just to switch it around. It IS possible though. Just encouraging you that you could help it fit your dd! :001_smile: Best wishes, hope it work out well!

How does she do with Grammar and writing skills? From what I've heard, MFW WHL is a step up from the AHL. There's more and "deeper" writing, research and other skills required. AHL kind of introduces it all to get them ready for the heavier stuff the next year. HOWEVER, I think I just read that somewhere on here, so someone who has used the WHL could tell you that better.

If you're going to do Ancient history one way or another, then AHL is wonderful! It is VERY different than MOH, and acknowledges that the student is more advanced than Jr. High level. It can be demanding, yet encouraging, and with the variety of readings, including the word for word Bible, it's always interesting!

You're NOT a slave to the Lessons Plans they provide, so you could look them over and take out some, or change some or add some, using the plans as a guide. However, it IS a bit expensive paying that much just to switch it around. It IS possible though. Just encouraging you that you could help it fit your dd! :001_smile: Best wishes, hope it work out well!

She's strong in grammar and has had some instruction in writing. She did Jump In and has had a class with a retired English teacher. The same teacher is about to do a literary analysis class in just a couple of weeks. I hope that is going to take her even further.

I feel that I'm her weakness in writing because I don't know how to evaluate it and help her improve in it. I got the book from WS on evaluating writing. I'm going to read it and see if that helps me.

Thanks for the encouragement.