Menu

The Last Ringbearer/LOTR--this looks interesting

I just came across this review on Salon.com. It's a new translation of a 1999 Russian novel, The Last Ringbearer, retelling the story of Lord of the Rings from the perspective of the guys from Mordor. It hasn't been published in English before now because of copyright issues with Tolkien's estate, but this is being offered as a free download.

I'm reading LOTR to my older two right now; first time I've read it since high school, and I'm enjoying it, but not nearly as uncritically as I did back then. So I'm intrigued by this; I just downloaded it (hey, it's free!)...it will be interesting to read it to myself alongside reading LOTR to the kids. From the review:

"The Lord of the Rings" wouldn't be as popular as it is if the pastoral idyll of the Shire and the sureties of a virtuous, mystically ordained monarchy as embodied in Aragorn didn't speak to widespread longing for a simpler way of life. There's nothing wrong with enjoying such narratives -- we'd be obliged to jettison the entire Arthurian mythos and huge chunks of American popular culture if there were -- but it never hurts to remind ourselves that it's not just their magical motifs that makes them fantasies.

Anyway, I thought some people here might be similarly intrigued.