Menu

I would love some input....

Hunter's Moon

I had originally planned on doing the 5-year Bachelor's/Master's degree for Occupational Therapy, but then realized my #1 school doesn't offer Child Psychology as a minor.

I would really love to have a special focus on children since I want to be a Pediatric Occupational Therapist.

Would this be another viable route?:

-Major in Child Psychology

-Master in OT (that is track two at my #1 college)

The downside is there is no guarantee I will be accepted to the Master's program this way. Obviously the program would be harder to get into when entering at the Master's level than if I were to enter at the Bachelor's level.

The other problem is my #2 and #3 colleges don't offer Child Psychology. They offer Psychology, but I want my focus on children since it would make sense for my career goal. I still am not sure what I would do with those schools. I know for sure I could get an Education minor in my #3 school, but not sure about my #2 school yet.

I don't *need* a minor I suppose, but I would really like to focus on children since the Occupation Therapy programs are generalized. I would get fieldwork in geriatrics, pediatrics, and mental health, but I would really like to focus on children.

Any suggestions? Do you think the specialization is necessary? Thanks!

ETA: Another option would be to minor in Early Childhood Education while doing the Bachelor's/Master's OT program. I had reservations about minoring in that because "The early childhood education program prepares you to teach in public and private elementary schools pre-K through grade 2 to young children *without disabilities*." But since I'll be working with disabled children in my OT internships, will the Early Childhood Education minor still help me?

Edited by BeatleMania

I did major in psychology prior to getting my masters in OT, but really think I could have read a lot of books in the field and learned just as much. I minored in business and thought that was helpful. One thing I would have found helpful would have been knowing how to give tests to diagnose learning disabilities and how to treat dyslexia, etc. from an educator's perspective. I don't know any OT who has done this, but I would think it would be very helpful. I imagine that is under the education umbrella, but think it may be only at the master's level - I'm not sure. If you can take just a course or two in that, I would go for it. You may want to just go for the OT degrees and take individual courses that are particularly helpful.

Have you considered double majoring? My son wants to be a microfinance manager in underdeveloped countries. One potential future employer told him he needed to know how to run a bank and needed to know things about development. His solution was to double major in business and community development which the potential future employer thought was a great idea. It pretty much means all of one major's classes need to count as his electives for his other major, but it can work.

Another thought is to check with the college. Many (though not all) are flexible about creating your own major based on a solid goal that a student has. You might be able to get something "credentialed" that you need that way instead of just having a few classes in something, but no major or minor.

I did major in psychology prior to getting my masters in OT, but really think I could have read a lot of books in the field and learned just as much. I minored in business and thought that was helpful. One thing I would have found helpful would have been knowing how to give tests to diagnose learning disabilities and how to treat dyslexia, etc. from an educator's perspective. I don't know any OT who has done this, but I would think it would be very helpful. I imagine that is under the education umbrella, but think it may be only at the master's level - I'm not sure. If you can take just a course or two in that, I would go for it. You may want to just go for the OT degrees and take individual courses that are particularly helpful.

:iagree: Usually, you don't have to double major or minor in something to take a few courses in the area. Most programs have at least a few electives, and as long as the school offers courses in your area(s) of interest, then you can just take those as electives. I would think your main focus should be on choosing the school with the best OT program, then worry about the electives later.

Best wishes,

Brenda

May I ask why you find minoring in business was helpful? Do you work from home independently?

Have you considered double majoring? My son wants to be a microfinance manager in underdeveloped countries. One potential future employer told him he needed to know how to run a bank and needed to know things about development. His solution was to double major in business and community development which the potential future employer thought was a great idea. It pretty much means all of one major's classes need to count as his electives for his other major, but it can work.

Another thought is to check with the college. Many (though not all) are flexible about creating your own major based on a solid goal that a student has. You might be able to get something "credentialed" that you need that way instead of just having a few classes in something, but no major or minor.

I've been thinking about double majoring. Just trying to figure out how it would all work. I'm a bit confused as to what the college requires as core courses (it seems they require 43 credits of their own courses plus whatever program you choose)

My top 3 colleges don't offer the chance to do that. I'm sure I could take a few courses in Child Psychology with my electives, but I wouldn't be to builg my own minor. That would be nice though. I do know one school around here who allows that, though but they don't offer an OT program.

Could you contact some local sped OTs and ask them about what to major/minor in?

I'll look into that, thanks!

:iagree: Usually, you don't have to double major or minor in something to take a few courses in the area. Most programs have at least a few electives, and as long as the school offers courses in your area(s) of interest, then you can just take those as electives. I would think your main focus should be on choosing the school with the best OT program, then worry about the electives later.

Best wishes,

Brenda

Thanks! My top three schools all have amazing OT programs, and their Occupational Therapy Exam passing rates are high. I was trying to figure out a basic plan because each school is a little different in what they offer (other than Occupational Therapy).

If I remember, I'll ask my mom this weekend when she's visiting. She was a ped OT for years. She retired 5 years ago. This was back in the time when you only needed a bachelor's to practice. She did own her own business for years so I can see how the business degree would help. But she worked for others for most years she was working. Not all of her working life was peds. She worked at a residential facility, with head trauma patients, peds in a clinic setting and then finally for herself by contracting with the school systems. Head trauma was the worse because of the lack of progress she saw.

Just in seeing her aggravations she brought home, be prepared for the involved parent who does everything you say, the parent who demands services for the child that the child doesn't need, and the parent who might as well be a brick wall because they do nothing. And be prepared to lose your heart to at least half of the kids you see! :001_wub:

If I remember, I'll ask my mom this weekend when she's visiting. She was a ped OT for years. She retired 5 years ago. This was back in the time when you only needed a bachelor's to practice. She did own her own business for years so I can see how the business degree would help. But she worked for others for most years she was working. Not all of her working life was peds. She worked at a residential facility, with head trauma patients, peds in a clinic setting and then finally for herself by contracting with the school systems. Head trauma was the worse because of the lack of progress she saw.

Just in seeing her aggravations she brought home, be prepared for the involved parent who does everything you say, the parent who demands services for the child that the child doesn't need, and the parent who might as well be a brick wall because they do nothing. And be prepared to lose your heart to at least half of the kids you see! :001_wub:

Thanks, I'd appreciate her input.

I've been thinking a lot about the bad aspects of the job. I *hate* confrontation of any kind, but I also see that the good will outweigh the bad. I would really love to work in the NICU after a few years of experience. I don't know how in demand OTs are in the NICU, but I do know they are used sometimes. I don't know how steady employment would be, or if it would just be a "work somewhere else and help out when needed" kind of situation but I absolutely adore babies and could see myself really happy working with younger children in a special needs day care, at a hospital, or in Early Intervention.

I definitely see how the business minor could help. When I finally have kids and settle down I'd like to have a job flexible enough to home school, so having a business degree of some kind would be nice.

Thanks!

Thanks, I'd appreciate her input.

I've been thinking a lot about the bad aspects of the job. I *hate* confrontation of any kind, but I also see that the good will outweigh the bad. I would really love to work in the NICU after a few years of experience. I don't know how in demand OTs are in the NICU, but I do know they are used sometimes. I don't know how steady employment would be, or if it would just be a "work somewhere else and help out when needed" kind of situation but I absolutely adore babies and could see myself really happy working with younger children in a special needs day care, at a hospital, or in Early Intervention.

I definitely see how the business minor could help. When I finally have kids and settle down I'd like to have a job flexible enough to home school, so having a business degree of some kind would be nice.

Thanks!

Mom doesn't know! She's been out long enough she didn't know it wasn't a bachelor position entry anymore. (I didn't think that was true but that's what she said.) I do want to wish you luck on your endeavors! Having gone in a "volunteered" while I was off from school and she was still in, those kids are precious! The severe and profound class (severely retarded and profoundly handicapped) were the sweetest group of kids! Mom didn't see a lot of improvement, but sweet sweet kids!

Mom doesn't know! She's been out long enough she didn't know it wasn't a bachelor position entry anymore. (I didn't think that was true but that's what she said.) I do want to wish you luck on your endeavors! Having gone in a "volunteered" while I was off from school and she was still in, those kids are precious! The severe and profound class (severely retarded and profoundly handicapped) were the sweetest group of kids! Mom didn't see a lot of improvement, but sweet sweet kids!

I cannot remember when it was changed, a few years ago, I believe.

Thanks for asking though, and for the well wishes!

I can't wait to start the program and start internships in my 4th and 5th year. I'll begin volunteering at Shriner's in October, and I can't wait for that either! It is amazing how kids always find a way to shine in their own way :001_wub:

No, I have never had my own business in OT - I might someday. I took one course each in accounting, business law, behavioral management (motivating employees), computers (was in the business school back then), and two others - I can't remember what exactly. The accounting was the hardest. It helped me to understand how a business, which hospitals and clinics are, works from the business perspective. But it's just nice to have a business minor, not at all essential.