Menu

Dinosaur encyclopedia or book?

I think I read four different dinosaur books to DS4 today. One was from the Usborne Beginners series, which we really like, but it is geared for a young audience. Another was one of those level 2 readers from the Target dollar section, so it probably isn't available, but the title is "Dinosaurs and Creatures of the Cretaceous." DS loves this one. It has the name, meaning of name, where it lived, size sometimes including a graph with comparison to human or object, what it ate, and then a paragraph or two about it. Then we have a great little spiral bound resource which also appears to be out of print, called "Dinosaur Fast Facts" by Fog City Press. It has at least 50 dinosaurs, in alphabetical order, with an illustration on the left, and info on the right. These two books are great reference books without being overwhelming. For example, last night at bedtime we read a little dino book that showed a heterodontosaurus. DS4 said he couldn't remember if it was a carnivore or herbivore, and the little book didn't say. So I sent him to get the fast fact book, we looked it up, and I blessedly didn't have to read about any others until this afternoon. ;) If you can find a copy of the fast fact book, or some other encyclopedia-light style of reference, that's what has been working for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought at a second hand store How to Talk Dinosaur With Your Child by Q.L. Pearce. It has very few, if any pictures, but has information for you to talk intelligently with your child about dinosaurs with your child. It is a little dated though; it was published in 1991.