Menu

Help me help my daughter start a blog.

My daughter wants to start a blog where she can share her art work (her passion) with friends and family.

I am okay with her "running" the blog herself (posting pictures of her drawings, and writing comments about what inspired her, etc.), but I want to be able to moderate. Obviously comments from friends and family would be kind, but if anyone else ran across it and posted something unkind, she would be EXTREMELY hurt. I'd prefer the ability to nip those before she even saw them, if such a thing is possible. (Constructive criticism is one thing, but we all know how people can just get downright snarky and mean, especially when they feel protected by anonymity.)

Obviously, with her only being 11, I also want to protect her anonymity and keep her safe.

Any advice for me?

What you can do is set up another xanga account and then let your family members know the sign in name and the password. Something like familylastname and then a password. In order for your dd to know exactly who the comment is from they'll have to sign their names, but that's simple.

Then you add that xanga blog to your "friends" and they can access the blog. I'm probably making it sound complicated but it isn't.

When you go to the Xanga log-in page, it has pictures and titles from random Xanga blogs. They are often s*xually oriented - both the titles and pictures. You can make the blog completely private and the posts protected, but I don't know how to avoid the log-in page. That's the main reason my dd has a blogger account. It's also private and the comments are moderated, but I haven't seen any offensive material where you log-in.

Edited by Ishki
spelling

I just setup my daughter with a blog author account on my blog (using Wordpress). I will be approving her posts before they go live. I can also approve comments before they go live.

You can make any blogs mentioned here private, and control the comments. Don't worry, I really doubt you'll get any rude comments. Quite the opposite! I bet she'll be overwhelmed with compliments! :001_smile:

Thank you all so much for the help. I'm so blogging-ignorant! I really just did not know how this could work. Sounds easier than I thought.

Thanks also . . .

Don't worry, I really doubt you'll get any rude comments. Quite the opposite! I bet she'll be overwhelmed with compliments! :001_smile:

for the encouragement and kind thoughts. :grouphug:

Blogger also has an option to keep your blog off of any search engine. I think this is the same option that will also keep your blog from being shared by blogger (there's a feature where anyone can access blogs randomly).

I would recommend this especially for a child's blog. It greatly reduces the likelihood of anyone just "running across" her blog.

While you may choose to also password-protect her blog, I've found reading those to be one giant headache, and it can be overwhelming to older family members who either aren't internet savvy or who don't have the inclination to put that much effort into reading.

What a fun way for your dd to share her passion!

:)