Menu

Help! I'm currently using Progeny press, WS3, All-In-One, and AS

I hit enter before I was finished with the headline. It's supposed to read I'm currently using Progeny Press, WS3, All-In-One English and AAS.

I was hoping to combine Literature, Writing, Grammar and Spelling in one curriculum.

If you had to choose, would you keep going with PP, switch to Lightening Literature 8th grade, or go with Learning Language Arts Through Literature Gray Book?

I have looked at all of the samples on the websites. I'm having a hard time deciding.

Feel free to chime in if you're using these books and why you like them.

Edited by Lainey
I hit enter before completing.

I think all your options are good, but my choice would be Learning Language Arts Through Literature, Grey Book

* (Scheduled) Weekly lessons are easy for the student and teacher to follow.

* (Time) I don't want to give up the time flexibility time to supplement with Vocabulary From Classical Roots and Living Books and Writing.

ymmv;)

This is me being the voice of reason, but at this time of year I wouldn't even start something new. I would DUMP one of those components, whatever is least valuable to you, and maintain a sane pace to finish the rest. Then plan for next year. Why are you doing AAS? Does your dc *need* AAS?? If he/she does, then it doesn't make sense to drop it. WTM doesn't specify to use lit guides, and you don't have to. They're nice for kids who enjoy them. Many don't, so again DROP. I've never heard of All-in-One English, but it sounds like it duplicates what you're already doing. I mean if you're doing PP, AAS, and WS, you HAVE a complete LA approach. So drop the All-in-One.

Do you even like WS? Seems like very few people do, WTM's rec notwithstanding. If you hate it, drop it too.

I'm not sure how old your dc is, but I think I basically just suggested you could drop everything you're doing, except for anything he really needs (AAS?) and likes (PP?). If he neither needs nor likes those, then they toss too. At that point you spend no money and spend the rest of the year doing copywork or dictation and subject narrations, the things WTM tells you to do. They cost you nothing, can be tailored to fit your dc, use subject material he likes, and are very efficient. That's what I would do.

Did you know February is filled with holidays? Valentine's, National Tortilla Day, there are tons of them! I found a site once that would generate scads of them by the date. You could read about a different holiday each day, celebrate, and write about it. There's just absolutely no reason to buy new curriculum and weigh yourself down in the unmerciful month of February.

Thank you for responding. Reading back, it looks like I didn't explain myself very well in my OP, so sorry about that!

I'm sticking with what we're doing this year, but was trying to plan ahead for next year, which will be 8th grade.

I don't hate what we're using, but it just seems like a lot of books and a lot of planning on my part. If I could get it all combined in one book and have it all laid out, I think it would be much easier for me and save a lot of time throughout my day. Ds does very well with it all, though.

I talked to some people who are using LLATL Gray and it looks like it might be a good fit for us, it includes everthing we need, though it sounds like it is weaker in comprehension on the book studies.

From what I'm reading, Lightening Literature probably wouldn't fit us at this time.

So, now I just need to decide if I'm going with LLATL or just sticking with what we're using now. Decisions, decisions! That old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may apply.

Thanks to everyone who responded. :)

National Tortilla Day!?! My ds would love that!!!!

This is me being the voice of reason, but at this time of year I wouldn't even start something new. I would DUMP one of those components, whatever is least valuable to you, and maintain a sane pace to finish the rest. Then plan for next year. Why are you doing AAS? Does your dc *need* AAS?? If he/she does, then it doesn't make sense to drop it. WTM doesn't specify to use lit guides, and you don't have to. They're nice for kids who enjoy them. Many don't, so again DROP. I've never heard of All-in-One English, but it sounds like it duplicates what you're already doing. I mean if you're doing PP, AAS, and WS, you HAVE a complete LA approach. So drop the All-in-One.

Do you even like WS? Seems like very few people do, WTM's rec notwithstanding. If you hate it, drop it too.

I'm not sure how old your dc is, but I think I basically just suggested you could drop everything you're doing, except for anything he really needs (AAS?) and likes (PP?). If he neither needs nor likes those, then they toss too. At that point you spend no money and spend the rest of the year doing copywork or dictation and subject narrations, the things WTM tells you to do. They cost you nothing, can be tailored to fit your dc, use subject material he likes, and are very efficient. That's what I would do.

Did you know February is filled with holidays? Valentine's, National Tortilla Day, there are tons of them! I found a site once that would generate scads of them by the date. You could read about a different holiday each day, celebrate, and write about it. There's just absolutely no reason to buy new curriculum and weigh yourself down in the unmerciful month of February.