Menu

Any CPAP users?

I would like to compare notes with someone with CPAP experience.

I have been using mine for about 6 weeks. I am having a difficult time finding the "perfect" mask, nasal pillows etc.

I like the pillows I am using except for the fact that it comes apart at night and wakes me up.

So would like to hear from others what works for them.

Hope there is someone out there that can help!

Go back to where you got it and explain your situation. I can't imagine that it should come apart; perhaps there is something wrong with that particular one. Even if the nasal pilows just aren't working for you, they can have you try the mask. They should do what they can to find what works best for you. They want you to have success and YOU want success! Don't give up, it is so well worth it!

I have gone back twice and am scheduled to go back again tomorrow. They act frustrated with me actually.

I really like the nose pillows I have but they keep coming disconnected from the main piece in the front. Don't know if I have a defective one or if it is the nature of this brand.

I tried one mask, but honestly it was so heavy and I didn't feel like I could get enough air.

So, I don't know if I should try the same nose pillow, just a new one, or, another mask.

I found a resmed mask today online that looks like it could be good. Resmed Mirage Vista nasal mask.

Any opinions?

Have you seen the support forums for cpaps? I've found a lot of help there when I was working with my cpap mask and machine--tons of help. http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html?sid=972f304a2d8adeb20b09c0f89bd69561 Since I switched to the mouth device I found this one. I'm not sure if it's as good for what you're needing as I was past the cpap's but it might be. http://www.sleepguide.com/

Edited by sbgrace

You should find out if the respiratory therapist you're working with uses CPAP. I've found that if they have never needed one, they're clueless.

I've never used nasal pillows since I'm a mouth breather. What exactly do you have? I can look to see if there is a common problem with that particular one.

As for not getting enough air, that's a pressure issue. How well do you know your machine? Do you know your pressure? Starting pressure? Do you have/use the ramp feature?

Thanks for the link Just looked at it briefly and I guess I have a lot to learn, I didn't understand much they were saying. All the acronyms....

I have a ResMed machine. My pressure is 11 and I do use the ramp up feature. My nasal pillows are Opus and I really like them but they come detached from the headgear in the night. Not every night, but frequently.

My machine has an attached humidifier but others seem to have a second machine humidifier.

What do you all have?

Hi there,

I have been using CPAP for 15 years and been reading cpaptalk forum for several. I thought I had a pretty good handle on things, and yet, my provider managed to slip a well know trick over on me last year when he sold me a new machine..details aren't important, but it was time to move on. I now buy my supplies online.

If your DME (Durable Medical Equipment) supplier is not workign well with you, then ask for another therapist, or switch providers.

Nose pillows were not available when I started 15 years ago, so I use a nasal mask. I just switched to a different version of mine and my nose is sporting a cute red spot. :glare: It doesnt' sound like it shoudl come apart. Be sure to register on that talk forum and ask away. There are some increidbly nice and helpful folks on there. There are also some crabby pants ones who can be rude, but ignore them.

BTW finding the perfect mask is one of the most difficult parts of the whole process IMHO.

BTW..which Resmed machine did they sell you? Escape or the S9? Curious....

I have the S9. Still in the rental phase.

Is this good, bad?

what is your experience? Machine, mask, etc?

S9 is great! The Escape model is a cheaper version that does not record all the stats........and they try to pawn it off as the latest and greatest..

Why are you renting? Does your insurance require it? From what I have been told, you end up paying so much more for teh machine if you rent it than if you just buy it outright.

I have the S8, and I wear a nasal mask. The pillows I tried were new at the time and I felt like my nose was being ripped off. I wouldn't try them again as long as what I am using works for me.

I do check my numbers every morning and it helps to know if the mask is getting old and developing leaks.

The amount of info to pass along is overwhelming, I really recommend you spend time reading and asking questions at Cpap.talk. If you register and list your equipment they can help you better.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask..just not sure where to start!

Edited by KatieinMich

I use a CPAP too, with a nose mask. I tried the nasal pillows for awhile, and while I liked the straps and lightness of it, the pillows were very uncomfortable and I never could get them situated correctly. They didn't fall off, though. That definitely doesn't seem right. I'd ask around and see if other people are having problems with it. If not, maybe you just have a defective one. I'd try a new mask, or a different brand.

As a night tec I never use the opus. Most patients dont seem to like them. If I am going with nasal pillows i am going with Swift or swift fx. Long term use at a pressure of 11 I would reccommend going back and forth between full nasal and pillows to allow the membranes in your nose heal from direct pressure.

If you are not feeling like you are not getting enough air at when using the full nasal are you using the cflex option? I would call the sleep lab/dr and let them know you do not feel like you are getting enough air. What mask did you use when had your sleep study?

If you are going back every ten days or what ever their trade time is they should not be giving you a hard time and I recommend calling your ins and lettting them know. Hit them in their pocket book. I always recommend to my pt that they tell their provider that they want to try as many masks on as they can because they are the ones that having to sleep with the machine. It needs to have easy of use and you want to make sure that it doesnt break down your skin. You will never get that with out trying on all the various brands.

Good luck

Another thought on masks. Most of the companies who sell masks allow you return it within 30days. I do not know the names of the companies that do, but ask at your appointment today about this policy.

Your therapist at the supply store ( DME ) should not be frustrated with you at all. It upsets me to hear this because I know this translates into you thinking it is your fault. It is not! It is perfectly normal to go thru several or many masks before finding the one that works for you! If it was an easy process there wouldn't be so many of them!

If you go to CPAP.com, you can search for masks on your own.

Your DME should be asking what position you sleep in for example to help fit you better. It is not just about size.

IE: I sleep on my stomach and therefore any mask with a bar across the bridge of my nose gets knocked out of place and then the mask leaks.

I am taking up board space, so if you have more questions, PM me.