Menu

A little freaked out...

SunshineMom

I have visited and posted this board for years now. I have never had my dd7 IQ tested and will not, just because I feel it is not necessary. I don't need a number to tell me how my dd7 is doing, I am more concerned with challenging her. I am a little freaked out though. Maybe it sounds like not a big deal to some folks here but I gave my dd7 an informal reading assessment and it confirmed what I suspected. She reads at an eighth grade level. She reads words that she knows, those that have meaning to her i.e. she understands their meaning vs sounding out. When she was younger she blew past phonic lessons and started reading words, jumping into books. In the last year she has jumped three grade levels in reading and comprehension. I am not trying to brag here, this is not the point of my writing. I am just a little nervous of the future. Sometimes I am at a loss with regards to challenging her. She is not some genius but rather more and more accelerated. I am challenging her with math, we use Singapore math, she has almost finished with 3B. I am trying to slow her down with the word problems book that goes along with 3b. She is working in the Level 2 Building Thinking Skills book. REAL Science Earth & Astronomy for science however with tons of my own units added in. Of course SOTW for history which we all love. We are doing MCT Grammar Island. I have searched this sight and followed others to obtain the IMO best curriculum. I ask that both my children strive for excellence to the best of their abilities but am also "light" compared to others with regards to schooling. I am just a little nervous. What am I going to do with her in middle school? Better yet next year? I am not sure how to proceed for I feel again overwhelmed (I've posted about this before):( I can't but help thinking that maybe she needs more than I can give in the sense of direction of studies. I rely heavily on everyone here for information, schedules, and curriculum ideas, however it is all just swarming around in my head....I can't keep up as much as I try. Will she wilt like those in ps, if I neglect to challenge her? Worries of a homeschool mother needing to hear that I need to relax for I won't kill her intelligence thru neglect!

I have felt your panic! I'm currently freaking out about high school and what junior high needs to look like in order to do well in high school.

Our dd's sound similar, so hopefully some of my experiences will help you. We kept the schooling pretty light up until 5th grade; now I'm ramping up the work.

For language arts--dd's strong suit--I went with a program (Classical Writing) that I think is rigorous and can be used through high school. I did very little spelling and no reading instruction. One year, I used Calvert Spelling because it can be done at the child's pace and I really liked that. I found that this is the easiest area (once you get past the younger ages when so much isn't appropriate) to accelerate. We just keep getting loads of books from the library. Our history is all reading. DD just got in the top 10 percentile on English and Reading in the ACT, so it's working.

Math is not dd's strong suit although she is accelerated. I found that she slowed down a bit around 4th/5th grade. Since she doesn't love it, she doesn't choose to do more than necessary. There are lots of great supplements for math, so you don't have to worry about going too fast. You could add in AOPS, Patty Paper Geometry, Zome Tools, etc.

I'm panicking about science right now, so I can't address that one. :tongue_smilie:

I have found that the most important thing that you can do is be flexible and take one year (or one month) at a time. I have a plan for materials and classes through high school, but I know it will change. In fact, I keep changing it every year. But it makes me feel better to see a roadmap and know that I'm not going to ruin my dd if I stay on that general path.

I also found that, around 9, dd starting getting emotional and we had so many other things to deal with. She had less interest in being challenged in school and I took it easy on her. Every once in a while, I see small bursts of maturity, so I think it will all work out in the end.

Wow, I did ramble a lot. Hopefully, there is something in here that helps you feel some comfort.

Thanks Chai, your story did help me gain a broader view. I have never planned out our school studies beyond the current year, it may behoove me to do so. Those panic feelings may subside with a plan of action that includes flexibility. I hope others can chime in here about science options for your dd. Best wishes!

I have an 8 yr old who is similar. We take an interest-led approach to education, which means I provide materials that I think she'll enjoy/will meet her needs and she works on them as she has interest. I feel like this approach is giving her an amazing education that is far better than anything she would get in a school environment. For example, she usually reads for 3-4 hours every day, and I figure even if she does nothing else but that she's soaking up so much more (that is appropriate to her needs) than she could get at school.

Not that you mentioned school exactly, but I find it helps me sometimes to consider my alternatives, and to recognize that even without me doing much of anything she has more opportunity here at home than she would in any other environment. (I have learned far more from reading than I ever did from school instruction. I only wish I could have read all day as a kid!)

You are obviously invested in her education and in meeting her needs as best you can. I think that's a recipe for success whatever way you look at it.

I think the results of the reading assessment are the key to what you are able to offer her. If you let her immerse herself in books on all sorts of topics, fiction and nonfiction, she will be able to keep taking off in new directions, exploring new areas. I would try to find a really good children's librarian and get to know what your system offers. You are doing a great job and you are using interesting curriculum -- I think it will be just fine.:001_smile:

Jewel,

I absolutely know how you feel. I still feel this way...:lol:!

My dd too reads very well. I've never had her tested but I'm quite confident she reads about 8th too. She's currently reading The Two Towers along with several other books. I too have no idea where this will lead most days. I plan her work for a year, but I know that half-way through the year we will have to readjust... and here we are readjusting again. She just recently decided that she didn't want to wait any longer to learn Latin. I kept putting this off since we were already studying French and I didn't like the latin programs available. It seemed as if none of them were a good fit. She enjoyed listening to Lingua Angelica (from Memoria Press) so much she dug out the Latina Christiana workbook I had on the shelf and started the first lesson. She was stuck on the grammar aspect so in a matter of days I rearranged her grammar studies (She needs to understand noun, pronoun, etc. in order to understand the latin grammar. This was something I was planning on adding in next month anyway.) and threw together a plan for Latin. I still don't care for the Latina Christiana book but she's ready and willing for now. I've also just had to rework her writing lessons. I still have to work on this some, but I have a general plan. Dd seems to be about grade level in math, so not a lot of stress here. She's doing well, but is not accelerated much here.

All of this to say I think we just have to keep being flexible and ready for changes. I'm worried too about what she can read each year. Each year she wants to read more advanced books and already I've had to deter from some since I didn't feel they were appropriate for her age. I hope that at least this ramble of words at least assures you that you are not alone in these feelings!:001_smile: I'm certain you are doing a great job of providing a rich and stimulating environment for her.

Thanks ladies....it's good to hear some encouraging words. When I post such thoughts I often get advice to do more "free style" homeschooling. I am not opposed but rather cautious (back to the plan/vision/future outcome thing). My dd7 does remark often that school is getting in the way of work she needs to do, she calls it research. However, I am not sure how much "research" she is actually doing. Does anyone know of a science assessment test? My dd7 is very intuitive with science concepts. She actually has read many kid science books and recently I caught her reading (a couple of nights) a science textbook for 5th graders. Science can be really frustrating. I have planned science experiments and before we can actually do them, she has figured out what will happen and why. This kind of stuff is common, a big let down for me and totally blows it for my dd9 (LD) to inquire. She is becoming (we are working on this one) more humble and giving others a chance. My dd7 loves Prima Latina (we just started a few months ago) too, eats it up and lights up when she figures out (on her own) words with latin roots. A whole new world opened up for her with Latin. I am starting to feel better just "talking or writing" out all this and hearing that others are dealing with the same challenges. Thank you.

Hi, Jewel.

I have felt the same panic. When my oldest was young and I first decided to homeschool, I felt I had to have it all figured out...grammar, middle, high school. I am a planner so not knowing where he'd be and what he'd be doing was difficult for me. When my dd came along and was doing everything even faster than her brothers, I felt panic again. Your dd sounds a lot like her. She's a whole to parts kind of learner, never sequential in anything, and tends to follow her own interests very well leaving me in the dust at times.

What I have learned is that I don't need to know what we'll be doing every school year. I have a general plan of topics we'll cover but the level will just depend on where dd is year by year. I always provide her with materials I can adapt or add to if her interest level is high in that topic. We do a lot of hands on projects in history and experiments in science because dd loves to be creative. She writes stories for fun. She is working on learning Spanish right now and has been interested in Gaelic but our computers are both broken and I can't get the program to work so that will have to wait. She has been tested to read many years ahead as well but I allow her to read whatever books she chooses (higher or lower as long as it is good literature...even I don't always read books at a challenging level and enjoy a good easy read now and then) and we read high level books together (we like spending the time cuddled up). She is mostly doing middle school level in all subjects even higher content-wise than I have seen her brothers cover in ps though I don't expect her output to be as high as what I imagine a middle schooler should do (though it is higher than the output expected of my middle ds in public school just because dd loves to write).

I wouldn't say we are entirely student-led because there are certain materials I expect dd to cover in a given week in all the subject areas I think are important. But I am a fairly relaxed homeschooler and willing to follow whatever bunny-trails dd is interested in.

So, my best advice is to just keep plugging away a day at a time. I love these boards because I get information on new curriculum we can try. I figure as long as dd is learning every day and her love for learning is alive, and I can not think about what level she is, the panic is kept in check. LOL Eventually she will hit a level where she may need college classes or I will have to find her some online classes or whatever and I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks ladies....it's good to hear some encouraging words. When I post such thoughts I often get advice to do more "free style" homeschooling. I am not opposed but rather cautious (back to the plan/vision/future outcome thing). My dd7 does remark often that school is getting in the way of work she needs to do, she calls it research. However, I am not sure how much "research" she is actually doing.

Maybe it would help you to look really big picture and consider what your ultimate goal is for your child's education. For me, that's ensuring that my kids continue to have a passion for learning, feel empowered regarding their own education, and understand how to access resources to help them meet their goals. (Actual content learned is not very important as far as I'm concerned; it's simply a means to an end.) So in that light, a child like mine (and yours) is already on track with that vision without much parental interference; I get to simply play facilitator and help her as she needs my assistance.

I think we sometimes have an idea of *how* we need to get from A-Z and can get caught up in our vision of the required steps along the way. Then these little people come along and jump the line in new ways we hadn't even considered! I think our job is to remember to pull back and look big picture so we don't hyper-focus on hitting step 'd' when the kid has simply jumped right over that and zoomed straight ahead to 'j'.

I started reviewing "standards of science knowledge for K-12" and have realized I have been playing it safe unnecessarily. I think I need to move my dd7 into a higher level of science (lower middle school) instead of trying to constantly enrich our science program. My interest in teaching science has waned for the prospect of what I need to do to prepare (research projects/background info, etc) has become taxing. My only concern about moving her to a higher science program is the math involved in actually doing science. How do others get around this problem without missing the point of the experiment i.e. the results via math?

MelanieM- I so hear what you are saying and your approach sounds wonderful (I admire your confidence:) on many levels. I have spent many hours reading books & articles regarding modern educational philosophies from Alfie Kohn, John Gatto, Montessori, and more classical, Charlotte Mason. I am however drawn more to a classical approach. On a more personal note, I was an unschooler (in theory) myself and there were some drawbacks I find as an adult disappointing. I don't really want to get into that whole story so back to my dd7. What I have found is that dd7 doesn't dislike our homeschool in general but lately she has become bored thus needing to do "her own research." (I write the following in the spirit of friendship and understanding) She is self-focused, heavily, into animals especially wild cats. About a year ago or more, I gave her an adult level animal encyclopedia, she started crying she was so happy. She learned so much from readings and pictures about animals from that book which she didn't have to return to the library. She not only has a general thirst for this kind of knowledge but feels compelled to do something to help these cats. She is currently saving up all her money (she needs $100) from birthdays, holidays and $1 wk allowance so she can give it to a local cat haven (wild cats adopted then displaced) and the Wildlife Federation. She has about $40 saved thus far....she even made herself a goal chart to show her progress. She has denied herself toys she could have bought with that money, she is laser focused. She has a deep sense of responsibility to endangered big cats. When she was younger, she would cry for these animals and couldn't understand why animals had to be endangered (why we adults don't find this as important as she does). She would say prayers asking God to help the people of the earth save these animals. You can image the many conversations we have had on this subject. I have found her a Wildlife vet summer week class to attend...thank you she says as she jumps with joy (not kidding). I know that I will have to become more proactive in helping her find ways to channel her passion into action thus the big picture of education; classical education and local service with a world vision.

I started reviewing "standards of science knowledge for K-12" and have realized I have been playing it safe unnecessarily. I think I need to move my dd7 into a higher level of science (lower middle school) instead of trying to constantly enrich our science program. My interest in teaching science has waned for the prospect of what I need to do to prepare (research projects/background info, etc) has become taxing. My only concern about moving her to a higher science program is the math involved in actually doing science. How do others get around this problem without missing the point of the experiment i.e. the results via math?

I put my son into the Science Explorer books this year. We're doing the earth science books and there is really very little math to deal with. I'm guessing that the life science is the same. If you do earth and life first (as is done in middle school--physical science is generally considered an 8th grade course), you won't have problems with the math.

I really like what 8FillstheHeart has to say about science in the early years. Maybe search out some of her posts on the subject? It sounds very freeform, but also has some structure/parental expectation built in. Maybe it would be a good approach for you and your daughter?

Jewel, your daughter sounds absolutely lovely! I think she's lucky to have you there supporting her on her journey and I'm sure you will find exactly the right approach that works for you both. :D

EKS- thank you for the Science Explorer recommendation! SE appears to be a much better fit :) Have you used any of the other curriculum titles such as animals, chemistry, etc? We have done way too much of earth and life science in general terms (however SE looks awesome for this). I think my kids would scream if I proposed these! However the other titles which are more specific, might peak their curiosity. I was hoping to stick with the WTM science sequence and start chemistry next year. Thoughts?

EKS- thank you for the Science Explorer recommendation! SE appears to be a much better fit :) Have you used any of the other curriculum titles such as animals, chemistry, etc? We have done way too much of earth and life science in general terms (however SE looks awesome for this). I think my kids would scream if I proposed these! However the other titles which are more specific, might peak their curiosity. I was hoping to stick with the WTM science sequence and start chemistry next year. Thoughts?

I have not seen anything but the earth science titles. I would guess that there is more math in the chemistry books, but probably not anything you couldn't explain or gloss over as appropriate. There's also CPO middle school science, but it seems to be written to a higher level than the SE books (we will be using their life science text next year).

Have you seen Ellen McHenry's chemistry books? They're great for young children who need a bit more. My son *loved* The Elements last year.

Also, you could try K12's middle school science courses. They offer two levels: regular and advanced. Normally, I recommend using the advanced courses to people whose kids are on grade level, but the regular courses might be just the thing for a younger child. You can get a demo account by calling them and asking for it where you can see just about all of the lessons for all of the K-8 courses they offer.

Once I went to middle school materials across the board for my younger son (3rd grade), things got a whole lot better. But I have to admit that I felt like I was stepping off a cliff at first.

My dd is currently doing PLATO science, an online program through homeschoolbuyerscoop.com. It is very detailed and probably what I would consider middle school level. She really loves the way the materials are presented and is learning a lot. PLATO also has other science courses...I have used their Earth Science course in previous years.

We liked The Elements for Chemistry along with a molecule model kit and experiment kits. The Real Science for Kids Level 2 Chemistry and Physics are also very good (they have other topics in science as well). We have enjoyed NOEO Science kits as well for their real world books and experiments. I tend to combine lots of different curriculum for each science topic along with lots of experiments and readings from Eyewitness type books on various topics. A couple years ago dd sat in on her brother's biology while they did real life dissection. This year, she is doing virtual dissection, experiments on genetics from a kit, a CD-ROM on cell biology, etc... Last year we did physics and added in lots of kits with projects to build for simple machines, motors, etc...

Chai- I found an online website "Internet Science Room" (hs level-Botany1, Chemistry, Zoology, etc) by Jim Askew. It appears to be a free interactive high school curriculum/class. Hope this helps, best wishes!

Thank you! I'll check it out. We've been very relaxed about science and I think that was okay, but now I feel like I need to change all of that and get dd ready for AP sciences in high school. I don't want it to be too easy, but I don't want to turn her off of science by making it too text-bookish. We also have an option of co-op science classes which would be nice for labs, but they don't do AP for high school.