Menu

Do standardized tests HAVE to include science and social studies?

DragonFaerie

My state requires standardized testing every three years beginning in 3rd grade so DD needs to take one at the end of this school year. I'm concerned though, because we don't do "social studies." We do history and we are doing ancient history this year. So, I know she could not pass the social studies portion and I'm not sure about science. Is there a test she could take (preferably one I can administer at home) that only tests language arts and math?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will say that the "social studies taught in K and first grade was all stuff that any homeschooled child would likely know anyway. In first grade, they did a unit on "community helpers", learning that fire fighters put out fires, stuff like that. It was all things that my son had learned at home in preschool through daily life.

Can you get a sample of the test your child would be supposed to take? Maybe you could see what types of questions are on there. It may be all stuff he knows anyway. Social studies is mostly holidays and community helpers and what a neighborhood is. The science my son's class did was also stuff he'd learned in preschool... water cycle, do things sink or float, etc. Pretty basic stuff. I don't know what gets taught in 2nd-3rd grade, but I have heard that it doesn't get much better. :tongue_smilie:

Guest RecumbentHeart

I was talking recently to a friend who administers one of the tests. Our state only requires testing in LA and Math and although the test may have other subjects on it, he only tests those if requested.

You might also take a look at a test prep book for a test you are considering. Many times, the types of questions asked in the content areas are very basic, the sort of thing almost anyone could be expected to know, no matter what they'd been formally taught. The questions are often more along the lines of reading comprehension questions -- read a passage, then answer questions about it.

I know when I used the ITBS from Brewer testing services I think it said that I could just skip giving the Science and Social studies portions if they were not needed.

When we tested with the ITBS last year through BJU, I skipped the Science and Social Studies portions. The score report did not give a Composite percentile but it did list a Core percentile.

Check with your state requirements to see whether they need a Composite score or just a Core score.

Here in PA, we only have to test in language arts and math according to the PA Home Ed Law. So even if I buy a test that includes social studies or science, we can choose to skip those portions (or can take them if we are curious and not submit those particular results to the district). With that said, the CAT from Seton was just language arts and math and only costs $25.00.

Here in PA, we only have to test in language arts and math according to the PA Home Ed Law. So even if I buy a test that includes social studies or science, we can choose to skip those portions (or can take them if we are curious and not submit those particular results to the district). With that said, the CAT from Seton was just language arts and math and only costs $25.00.

That's how it is in GA, too. There is no specification about what has to be covered in the test. And, we don't have to submit the test to anybody, either, just keep it on file for three years. I'm not happy about having to test at all but oh well.