Menu

What does your Prima Latina schedule look like?

mlbuchina

We do one chapter per week, and a week generally looks like this:

Monday--introduce all new vocab and listen to pronunciation CD. Review all vocab. from previous lessons with flash cards. Introduce new line of prayer.

Tuesday--introduce new concept (the main lesson section) Review all vocab and all prayers including the new line.

Wednesday--Do review questions and new information questions. Review all vocab and prayers.

Thursday--do any "extra" questions, derivitives etc. Review all vocab and prayers.

Friday--review all vocab, prayers and new concept.

It is pretty repetitve, but ds really thrives with it. We do most things orally at this point, so it goes pretty quickly.

We have the DVD which is GREAT for me (as I watch it along with dds & try to catch the correct pronounciation) but the kids don't like it (too BORING).

We do a chapter a week and spend about 30 minutes (usually less) per lesson four times a week. Loosely, it looks like this:

Day 1: Watch DVD. (I keep my finger poised over the pause button as she goes too quickly for us to reply back before she says the answers. We go through the vocab a couple times with her.)

Day 2: Review the lesson in our workbook, make flash cards, start workbook lessons (orally with my 2nd grader). Go over new prayer line.

Day 2: Review vocab for this week, finish workbook lessons (usually going over them orally again with 2nd grader as she almost always doesn't "get" the grammar the first time). Go over current prayer up to where we are.

Day 3: Review all vocab to date w/flashcards. Say previous prayers and new prayer.

Day 4: Take a quiz (oral or written) on that chapter (Quizlet.com is a great resource for this). Sometimes I just grab some flashcards randomly, sometimes the quiz is on grammar/Latin facts that have been introduced so far, sometimes it is just on the stuff from that chapter.

For "review weeks," there is no DVD lesson, so it is sometimes a shorter week of lessons (three days) with lots of review of flash cards & filling out workbook pages.

We don't do it quite so much as the others it looks like. We practice it about 3 x a week. One day we listen to the new lesson on C.D. a couple of times. We review the old prayers and I usually review with flash cards or we practice the practical sayings (I tell them in latin to sit and stand, or ask them questions that they must answer, using the words and phrases we have learned.)

2nd day, we listen to the C.D. again and practice w/flashcards. dd8 does lesson in workbook on her own. The grammar stuff is very easy for her. In fact I would have gone with a tougher program, but I wanted this one so that my younger could pick up more.

3rd day, we listen to C.D. practice prayers and dd finishes her workbook.

We say the prayers every day during bedtime prayers and at mealtimes and during church. When our church is saying them in English we will be whispering to ourselves in Latin (I have caught the girls doing it too :)

We're pretty low key with it. DH teaches one lesson a week, on one of the mornings. The kids make any new flashcards they need, and practice ~25 flashcards (Latin to English, English to Latin) on the four days of the week with no class. We don't use the CD or the DVDs, but DH has experience with Latin. We practice the table prayer at meals sometimes, and sometimes other mini-assignments, like greeting him at the door in Latin or saying goodbye.

Erica in OR