Menu

4th grade Geology and Earth Science?

simka2

Anyone? What are your thoughts on RSO? What about other programs?

Truthfully, I have always just done my own thing with science, and I could with biology, but geology is a bit out of my leauge.

I have never ordered a kit...so I'm and curious and intimidated about that as well.

Help please!

You might want to check your library and see if they have either of these books: Geology Rocks! or How the Earth Works. Both cover earth science and geology very thoroughly and with lots of activities. They would be perfect for adding some experimentation to the interest your kids have right now. I used them for my daughter last year when she got on a rock kick. She was in K, so I had to adapt some of it pretty heavily, especially Geology Rocks!, but I think that it wouldn't be beneath your 4th grader. I'm pretty sure Janice VanCleave also has an experiment book for geology. Depending on how cooperative the search function is here, I know there was a discussion about earth science on this board some time ago...maybe a year or so? One poster gave her entire schedule of geology using these books. That could help.

As far as RSO or Elemental Science, I think both are outstanding programs. ES is split into half the year on astronomy. I'm not sure what the split is for RSO, but it does have an astronomy emphasis as well. This is the one year where I believe ES ends up being more expensive than RSO, simply because of the extra books needed, so either program is going to be a bit pricey, if that's a factor. I mention that only because I don't know how in depth you want to go with it. If you're looking for a solid year's worth of science, the price is definitely reasonable for either. Both would guide your through the year.

We have had a lot of fun with Delta's Science In A Nutshell kits. Ds loved them at about that age, and dd is really into them now. There are several that relate to geology. Your kids might especially enjoy the "Rock Origins" kit (I think that's what it was called). There's one about soils and erosion, and one about tectonic plates and whatnot too.

I have some rock hounds too! We are very much enjoying RSO.

Here is a recent thread about the curriculum in general, not specific to the Earth one.

BUT...here is what I posted about it:

I'm using RSO Earth and Astronomy with my 2nd and 4th grader and can I just say WE LOVE IT!!!!!! I wish so much I would have discovered them earlier and I REALLY wish they would come out with a Physics one for us to use next year.

Here's what I love about the program:

*The text you read is laid short, but covers the material well.

*There are experiments or projects to do with every lesson. I made it a goal to do more hands on learning with my boys and this allows me to do that.

*The experiments really demonstrate what you just read about. Plus, a lot fo the ones we have done involve food! Today, for instance, we studied Igneous rock and how they are formed. We took choc. chips, marshmellows, sugar, evap. milk, etc. (various rocks and minerals), melted them together (forming magma under ground), and cooled it in the refrigerator (magma coming up to the surface, becoming lava and cooling above ground), we inspected it to see if we could find any "crystals", then we ate it!

*Home Science Tools sells a kit with many of the items you need for the experiments. I found this to be very helpful.

We add in other books and videos, but you really don't have to. My boys just really love science.

Here are some of the other activities we have done:

*Identified minerals by working through various tests (scratch test, luster, etc.) geologists use to identify them.

*demonstrated knowledge of the crust, mantle, core, etc. by making pizza.

*categorized rocks like geologists

*making our own edible crystals

Hope this helps! :001_smile:

Edited by King Alfred Academy
forgot link

We have had a lot of fun with Delta's Science In A Nutshell kits. Ds loved them at about that age, and dd is really into them now. There are several that relate to geology. Your kids might especially enjoy the "Rock Origins" kit (I think that's what it was called). There's one about soils and erosion, and one about tectonic plates and whatnot too.

This is what I was going to post!!

Krista