Menu

Favorite Early Geography

SEGway

I've not been terribly impressed with the reviews of either Legends & Leagues or Galloping the Globe. What have you used that you liked (dd will be in 1st next year)?

Did you just cover the continents without a curriculum? Start local and work toward global? Start far away and work your way home? Only introduce countries that came up in other studies? Introduce map skills as a separate subject?

I'm very curious. :001_smile:

I just taught continents and oceans and got the globe out all the time as we read about other places. We occasionally labeled things on a large laminated map as well. That prepared them just fine. I am using A Child's Geography with my 1st-4th graders now. It is wonderfully written (Charlotte Mason style) and gives a comprehensive, in depth overview of geography. We LOVE it!

A Child's Geography also includes a lots of copywork suggestions and many book selections to enhance each chapter.

I just taught continents and oceans and got the globe out all the time as we read about other places. We occasionally labeled things on a large laminated map as well. That prepared them just fine. I am using A Child's Geography with my 1st-4th graders now. It is wonderfully written (Charlotte Mason style) and gives a comprehensive, in depth overview of geography. We LOVE it!

A Child's Geography also includes a lots of copywork suggestions and many book selections to enhance each chapter.

Is this book by Voskamp or Hillyer? And is it complete by itself? Or does it require other read alouds in order to do the projects? Thanks! I hadn't heard of or seen this one mentioned before. It looks good!

• 2 weeks later...
Is this book by Voskamp or Hillyer? And is it complete by itself? Or does it require other read alouds in order to do the projects? Thanks! I hadn't heard of or seen this one mentioned before. It looks good!

Sorry, I've been MIA and just saw your question. This book is by Voskamp, but in the wonderful style of Hillyer (I think his geography book is OOP?). It is a complete book, but you can add other books to enrich it, if you'd like.

It is SO good!

Don't have time to write an indepth post, but I recently discovered the Evan Moor downloadable eBooks (love ebooks), and we're doing their Continent study on Africa. Last night I noticed they have two Africa ebooks, that's a little confusing.

We're doing Top Secret Adventures, learning to map the world by heart, and whatever else I can find to flesh it all out.

I used GTG as a Guide, and there is a woman who posts all her geography studies on a blog. We use her ideas too.

Mostly we go to the library and get out lots of books and read, read, read. We find famous people, monuments, places. Talk about the language, currency, topography, animals. We might find some food we can eat. Then we notebook and map.

This was after we spent a year understanding the basics of geography, maps, globes, compass rose and all 7 continents & oceans.