Menu

If you do outside classes how do you get everything done

Well, first of all, every year I analyze whether the co-op is worth it. Meaning, do we get more out of it than we give up. Because, our co-op is two days a week it means that we have a very busy 3 days at home. We do long school days on our non-co-op days. I have a pretty structured list of things that we have to get done on our home days and so it doesn't allow us very much freedom. But, at this point, I feel that it is worth it for the things we gain from our co-op. It is one of those things I plan to revisit each year as I assess our needs and goals.

I just noticed that you were there M-F. Is there a way you could commit to just a couple days a week? I think it would be hard to go out every day. We are gone all day for two days a week (although the kids still do a couple home subjects on those days before co-op starts). I guess it depends on the program. Ours is also a public school co-op.

We substitute the co-op or outside lessons for what we do at home and if necessary, I supplimant. Let me explain- my high schooler is taking Spanish and a Movies and Lit class. She is getting two credits for that. I don't do more lit with her but do supplement some grammar and spelling. My youngest has three co-op classes. Her karate is part of PE for her. Florida History was her history this semester. Finally, her Prince Caspian class wasn't a substitute for anythng much. Next year, if she is doing Where the Brook meets the River, I won't be doing lit or history with her.

I keep a list for each day of the week and get ready for the class ahead of time. I also use our break time in the car.

For instance Wednesday we have

8:30 ds-Spanish/dd-PE,

10:00 Chess,

5:00 Piano,

6:00 Awanas,

7:00 ds-youth group.

OR getting ready to change to

4:00 dd-Volley ball ds-piano

5:00 ds-Shakespeare tutor (youth pastor)

7:00 ds youth group.

When we leave the house in the morning everything for the day is loaded in the car. All book bags, PE clothes, piano books, Awana books/bibles, snacks and water bottles. Everything is set and ready to go so we can school right up until time to go. This helps a lot! Then when we get home we have a lunch break and get started again. I have dd get her stuff ready at night and set it by the door so we don't loose school time finding knee pads! I keep one lunch box loaded with snacks (non-perishable) for the week so I don't have to reload daily and a case of water in the trunk.

I always figure 1 hour lost on each side of an activity and schedule as much on the same day as possible. I would rather have one really crazy day than have a bunch of broken up days. If you are feeling like you are loosing time driving, it is a great chance to listen to a book on tape. While Hank the Cow Dog or something similar is great if you are using the car time for their break time, you can also get a lot of classics BOT or BOCD also. Some families find it works well to do their literature in the car by listening as a family or on MP3.

That's been my question too...it's hard. This year I managed to schedule all the classes on Thursday only, but then things like dr. appointments, field trips and special projects always creep in. I schedule Thursdays a little lighter and pick things we can take and do or can be done more independantly by the child at home when we get home in the afternoon. I try to maximize the time spent in the car (it's 20 minutes one way to get to town for classes) with SOTW audio, books on tape, and hand held educational games for review such as math shark and hangman.