Menu

High School Latin recommendations ?

My dd (15) will start a foreign language for the first time next year ( 10th)..How long is Latin taken for? Are colleges accepting this if taken for 3 years in high school? Also, what program would you recommend? She would also like to take French, but from I understand , learning other languages is easier if you have had latin first? Thanks for any info you can share! I am at a total loss on this one!

Michelle

Two common curricula used at that stage are Henle and Wheelock. There are support materials available for both as well as online classes for both in case that is something you would like to pursue.

:iagree:

My dd is using Wheelock's over two years, then she will do a year of translation and readings, probably using Lukeion's AP Virgil course. Two years of Latin will give you the basics, and then further years are usually application courses. You could do two years and then French, but some colleges want to see three of the same language, so check ahead of time.

Most schools not just accept Latin, they are happy to see, from what I have found so far. I had Latin in HS, and it was always a selling point in scholarship and admission interviews. :001_smile: Like a pp said, check with the particular universities you have narrowed it down to, though.