Menu

Are You Religious But Still Consider Your Homeschool Secular?

I see secular materials as neutral in the religion department which I prefer since I would much rather instill my own beliefs and ideas about religion than someone else's:D

Well you managed to say in 1 sentence what I was trying to say multiple posts! :D Good job!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even sure how to answer this. I don't homeschool for religious reasons. I mean, I didn't pull my son out of ps for religious reasons; they were all for academic reasons. I did use some religious materials (Beautiful Feet and Apologia, for example), but I used those because a friend suggested them, not because they were specifically "religious." I currently use some Christian materials with dd, but not specifically because they're Christian, but because they are either formatted and contain content that I wanted, or they were given to me. I've not, for example, categorically said, "I'm going to use XYZ because it's Christian and by crackee, my kids are gonna use those books!" I've known people who have done that, but I tend to select materials based on other criteria.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that worldview is primarily taught through how one lives before others, not in a book. I think there are books that can support what you're living, but I don't think you can hand a child religious materials and live contrary to what the books say and have what the books say stick, if that makes sense.

I'm a conservative Christian, but not "evangelical" in the sense that the word seems to be used today. I want the best education I can give my dd. If that happens to come from a Christian publisher, so be it. If it comes from a secular publisher, so be that, as well. I prefer for the structured religious teachings to come from church, which is one of the reasons religious workshops at home school conferences drive me insane. INSANE.

KatieH,

I think you misunderstand many of us and I think it offensive to say the Christians who do not use Christian curriculums are "God on Sunday only people."

That's not what I said. I do not have an issue with Christians using secular curricula. I use it if I feel that's what works best. I don't see anything wrong with that. Again, what I don't understand is that some posters (some, not most or all) seemed to be saying that they would avoid curriculum that they liked overall, simply because it mentioned God. If I misunderstood those few people, then apologies, of course. I obviously wasn't clear that when I said "some" I meant some of the posts, not "all of you people in this thread." I also did not get "secular homeschool." I have always understood that to mean "God is not mentioned." I see now, however, that many were using the phrase to express that they use non-religious curricula, not that they make no mention of God during school. So thanks for clarifying, because being unclear on the terminology was confusing.

I don't want to turn this into a Young Earth/Old Earth debate but the problem with science is that if it's Christian, it is most likely Young Earth (from what I've seen... I admit I don't have as much knowledge of a variety of curriculum as many of the women here). To me, it seems easier to get a secular science program and talk about how we believe in God's creative force behind everything than to get a Christian program and constantly have to correct the science. But that's just me. I' m not good at science, other parents might find it easier to get a good science program and tweak it.

Thanks for addressing my concern over divorcing God from science. I can understand what you mean, although I have been able to find a religious curriculum that accurately reflects both our faith and science. But, I also am aware that as we advance, my choices may be more narrow, in which case, I would certainly choose a scientifically rigorous and accurate, but secular, curriculum over a Christian one that promoted YE thinking.

I'm Catholic, adherent and actively practicing. I did not choose to homeschool for religious reasons and I can't say that I am selecting curriculum in order to integrate Catholicism into our homeschool. In fact, I am almost trying to avoid religious homeschooling materials (like MFW or HOD) simply because I don't want the hassle of trying to tweak the religious instruction that is included. I suppose I also feel that science should be based on scientific investigative principles and not anything else - what do we know from what we can observe and learn from our environment, and so on. I want my children to be Christians, of course, but I also think they have to want and seek that for themselves. I can hold a candle and try and light their way a bit but I can't force them into faith.

Is there anyone else like this out there?

Yes. Me. We use a secular curriculum.

We didn't chose to homeschool for religious reasons at all.