Menu

Charlotte Mason in Short?

In other words, where can i find a nice summary of her ideas, methods, etc? I do not have time to wade thru her writings right now. Is AO the only source for a curriculum or is a secular one available?

In other words, where can i find a nice summary of her ideas, methods, etc? I do not have time to wade thru her writings right now. Is AO the only source for a curriculum or is a secular one available?

http://amblesideonline.org/CM/Summaries.html

Little summaries of what is in each chapter.

http://amblesideonline.org/CM/20Principles.html

Print out her 20 principles and hang them on the frig.

"education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life." CM

That's the really short version!

Mandy

Is AO the only source for a curriculum or is a secular one available?

Ambleside is definitely NOT the only CM type of curriculum.

Mater Amabilis has a Catholic CM-style education based on the schools CM ran (abbreviated PNEU schools). You can basically eliminate or change the religious education section to suit your own needs. The rest of it is secular (aside from some Catholic angle to supplement history).

When Children Love to Learn and For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay are also great print resources. Childlight USA, with which she is affiliated, has a website and a blog where you can read articles and listen to talks from previous conventions (they seem to have annual conventions, which you could attend). You can join their mailing list.

I think the links on the Secular Charlotte Mason site may also help you:

http://www.secularcm.com/apps/links/

We are using Heart of Dakota which is CM based with classical leanings. It isn't secular, though it depends why you have asked for secular. We are using it for the American History, Science and Read Alouds this year (Bigger), which I haven't found objectionable (not being a member of a Protestant religion).

I am really glad that I got to use it for one year. It has really taught me a lot about scheduling and implementing CM methods.

Guest aquiverfull

I second Linda Fay's blog (charlottemasonhelp.com). It's great!! If you have time to read a book Catherine Levison's second book, "More Charlotte Mason education", is great for giving a picture of what CM looks like in practice.

Thank you, ladies, for the resources. We want secular because I do not want to have to tweak to fit our religious beliefs. The secular CM site looks very promising. Off to browse...

You know, Childlight and Macaulay are Christianity-based resources (well, CM was a Christian too), but I included them because the non-religious subjects are basically not covered with a religious angle. Same with Mater Amabilis. So hopefully you understood why I suggested those sites! :)