Menu

Long, convoluted question

jspringer4

Hi! I'm the mother of a 7 year old who is currently in 2nd grade and having a lot of problems. She reads at a 4th grade level and I think if she was assessed would fall somewhere in the "gifted" spectrum, but she is so unhappy in her public school setting that she is displaying a LOT of negative behavior and her performance is starting to slip.

She used to be very curious and inquisitive, but she "hates" school so much now that any time I try to engage her like I used to she resists and groans and says she doesn't want to do any more "work". She isn't doing well in math, I think because she sees it as boring and does not pay attention in class and also because they are doing Everyday Math which my husband and I have found very confusing when she has tried to explain how they do different things on her homework. Language Arts is not any better, and her grade has actually gone down in that class on her last report card despite being advanced in that class. And don't get me started on the Advanced Reader program. I'm pretty sure the pressure of trying to make her astronomical goal every month is a big part of the reason she won't read for fun anymore.

I'm at a loss at what to do with her at this point. My husband and I are meeting with a private school this week to see if they are better equipped to meet her needs, but if they are not I don't see any point in spending what amounts to the same as a public university tuition so that she can continue to be miserable. I've thought about homeschooling, but she is extremely extroverted and the daily interaction with her peers is about the only positive thing she is getting out of school at the moment. I don't think I can give her that at home, not on a daily basis.

So, after all that, I'm not even sure what I'm asking. I guess what I'm hoping for is that someone will have some suggestions for us to help us find our way through this mess.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

Look for a university model homeschool. Best of both worlds. She'd "go to school" 2-3 days a week, and be homeschooled the other 2-3 days. Depending on the school, it's possible she could be placed in different grade levels for different classes, and there may be more flexibility in moving up or down during the school term. There would be more parent involvement and smaller class sizes, so she'd get more one on one attention, too.

I had the same concerns before starting to homeschool my oldest son 3 1/2 years ago - he is extremely extroverted, so how would he do being home? But it has been wonderful. It does take a bit longer to break into a homeschool social group, though I suspect it depends where you live - we are in an urban area so there are tons of homeschool groups and classes. I also find we can have more meaningful connections with kids for longer playdates than the brief recess at school. I really get to know the family and the parents of his friends, and as he gets older we make better connections. My only problem is he would like to do every class that comes around, whereas I would rather stay home. It cuts into school time but is important for him so we try to deal with it. If she already has some close friends from school you can try to keep those connections. My extroverted gifted son is very happy being homeschooled and never wants to go back, and his younger brother is now homeschooling, and I am saving $40K in private school tuition which will pay for a lot of homeschool classes and tutors. (not that I could actually pay that but it makes me feel good!)

My oldest is an extrovert and I've found that it has been a GOOD thing to homeschool because she doesn't get overexcited by the other kids every day like she did back when she was in daycare full-time. She used to come home extremely worked up and bouncing off the walls right when we were exhausted from a long day at work/grad school. It caused MAJOR friction in our relationship :( She still gets like this after classes, activities, and park day but it's only a few times per week rather than every single day.

Circumstances may require me to resume full-time employment next year and therefore put her into a classroom setting. I dread the thought of what she'd be like when we all get home at the end of the day. :eek:

I'd pull her out of school, spend some time deschooling, and homeschool. My DD is quite extroverted, and does well with a combination of a weekly enrichment program (run by a public school district out here) and the freedom to go play with her neighborhood friends after they're home from school most days. Those provide social interation with peers, and I can provide her with academics that suit her needs.

I feel that the situation you describe kind of similar to mine and I really don't know what to do as well. I literally feel that every week I need to do deschooling, my daughter coming kind of strange and seem a bit depressed when she comes, her math began to slip. I feel that tutoring helped her a lot, but it is expensive and tiring after school. Anyway- good luck.

I'd pull her out of school, spend some time deschooling, and homeschool. My DD is quite extroverted, and does well with a combination of a weekly enrichment program (run by a public school district out here) and the freedom to go play with her neighborhood friends after they're home from school most days. Those provide social interation with peers, and I can provide her with academics that suit her needs.

:iagree: