Menu

s/o: Singapore STE vs US Edition HIG

MissKNG

I only have the SE, but I love how it describes manipulative activities, gives the assignments for the textbook and the workbook along with the answers, and gives additional activities to help reinforce concepts. It also has mental math activities listed.

US Ed does all this as well. I know Spycar has seen both so maybe he will chime in. I've use the US Ed and really like the HIG but haven't seen the STD Ed to compare.

Besides content reasons, one reason I like it better is that it's spiral bound. Might be silly, but it's actually a big deal to me. The US HIGs that I have (besides Level 1) are very tightly perfect-bound and will NOT stay open without me holding them. Very, very annoying when you're dealing with the HIG, textbook, and workbook all at the same time.

A common reason why people choose STE over the US edition is because the HIG is so much better. Could I have some specific examples as to why it's better? Thanks!

US Ed does all this as well. I know Spycar has seen both so maybe he will chime in. I've use the US Ed and really like the HIG but haven't seen the STD Ed to compare.

Nope. I have only seen the SE versions, which are pretty good.

I do know that the author, Jenny at singaporemath, has said the SE versions are a big improvement over the earlier US Edition version and benefited from feedback from users (especially homeschool parents). In past threads I can remember people who've seen both also said the SE versions were better, but I have never seen the US versions myself. Sorry.

Bill

Nope. I have only seen the SE versions, which are pretty good.

I do know that the author, Jenny at singaporemath, has said the SE versions are a big improvement over the earlier US Edition version and benefited from feedback from users (especially homeschool parents). In past threads I can remember people who've seen both also said the SE versions were better, but I have never seen the US versions myself. Sorry.

Bill

Bummer. I'm curious to the differences as well.

I just asked Jenny on the Singapore Forum!!

I'm using the US HIG for 1b and it's spiral bound and includes all the stuff Wehomeschool mentioned.

I need to order 2a in the next few weeks so I'm very curious (though I'm leaning towards STE because of the extra content).

I used the US Ed. HIG for 3A and 3B and have the SE HIG's for 4A-5A. The SE HIG goes into quite a bit more detailed explanations than the US HIG. The US HIG typically has 1/2 to 1 page per section worth of explanation for the teacher and I personally didn't find it all that helpful. The SE HIG typically has 2-3 pages' worth of explanation per section and much more useful.

FWIW, both sets of HIG's say that they are authored by Jennifer Hoerst.