Menu

What books are worth buying for Middle Ages?

Milknhoney

I've seen several threads recently with recommended books to go along with SOTW2. Those will be a great help to me. I try to use as many resources from the library as I can rather than purchasing. BUT, I was recently thinking, there are some books that are worth actually buying and having on the shelf as a keeper. I know for this year, I really wish I had just bought D'Aulaire's Greek Myths. So, as I plan out what I'm going to be buying for 2nd grade, I would like some recommendations... if I select just a few books to buy rather than borrow from the library, which ones should they be? Quality literature, life-enriching, inspiring, worth reading over and over again throughout childhood.

Thanks!

I don't know if it's worth buying for everyone, but we are doing SOTW 2 right now and we're reading a Newberry winner called Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village.

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-Ladies-Voices-Medieval-Village/dp/0763643327/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296429672&sr=8-1

It's a series of monologues/2 part dialogs written from the point of view of someone living in a medieval village. We absolutely LOVE it and I know we'll be coming back to it over and over. It would be really fun to read the parts with groups of kids or even do a simple production with a co-op. You can read more about it on the Amazon site.

The Norse D'Aulaires' book of Norse Myths is very good too. We have both Greek and Norse books at home.

Personally, I would really, really recommend the Our Little Celtic/Norman/Frankish Cousin of Long Ago series. (Well, we haven't read the Frankish one, but the other two were fantastic.) Some of them are available at mainlesson.com, for free, but amazon has them too. My kids just ate them up, and I really liked that they showed a lot about medieval life in different areas and time periods, even within the middle ages. I think they're a lot like the Little House books -- kids like them at the first reading but will get more and different things out of them after multiple readings.

Also, we really like The Making of a Knight, but Patrick O'Brien, and it has a lot of info. Macauley's Castle would probably be on my short list to buy too. And Good Masters, Sweet Ladies was also excellent.

The books we used during the Middle Ages (okay, you know what I mean :001_rolleyes:) were:

The Usborne Internet-linked Book Medieval World

Magic Tree House Research Guide: Castles & Knights

Read Alouds:

The Door in the Wall

The Minstrel in the Tower

Castle Diary

Tales of Robin Hood

The Sword in the Tree