Menu

Saxon has Geometry now???

It's my understanding that Saxon was bought out by a major publisher. That publisher added the geometry course (NOT written by John Saxon, by the way) to appease public/private schools (and homeschoolers who wanted a separate geometry course). As far as I know, the spread-out geometry in Alg I, Alg II, and Adv Math still exists and covers a full geometry course... or so I'm told. We are still only in Alg II.

Really?? Well that sucks. My son who is using Alg II right now, already did Geometry in Public School. But my 9th and 8th graders coming up... well I think I'll buy the 'Advanced Math' before the new publishers perhaps discontinue it order to add one more book to their line, therefore forcing homeschoolers to pony up yet more money.... *sigh*

It's my understanding that Saxon was bought out by a major publisher. That publisher added the geometry course (NOT written by John Saxon, by the way) to appease public/private schools (and homeschoolers who wanted a separate geometry course). As far as I know, the spread-out geometry in Alg I, Alg II, and Adv Math still exists and covers a full geometry course... or so I'm told. We are still only in Alg II.

Kinsa's right. Unless you've gone to a 4th edition algebra 1 and 2 (which I understand have had the geometry removed, but I have no personal experience), you shouldn't need the geometry course. Saxon homeschool is still selling the 3rd edition.

Nothing about the usual Saxon series has changed. You still get a full geometry course in Algebra I, II and 1st half of Advanced Math.

The new geometry course - available for about two years now I think - is available in the homeschool version as well. It's not needed in the usual Saxon sequence, but can be used by anyone who wants a full year of a separate geometry course. It is included in a different series of Algebra I, geometry and Algebra II where algebra is just algebra, and geometry is just geometry. This series isn't replacing the usual texts, it's just an alternative. The covers of the texts are very different making them easy to spot.

HTH :)

I don't know about the Geometry text, but this is the sequence we have always used:

Algebra I

Algebra II

Advanced Mathematics (analytical geometry through lesson 63, and then trig.)

There is geometry spread throughout Algebra I and Algebra II.