Menu

MCT's Grammar Island for 3rd grader, what for 1st grader...

Guest wimsey

If I am looking at MCT's Grammar Island for my 3rd grader, what might I look at besides FLL for my 1st grader?

They're both just coming out of PS, she was in GT... I have a feeling she'll look over at the MCT program and say, "Why can't I do that, Mommy? It looks like fun."

Thanks!

Edited by wimsey

MCT says that the Island level can be used below 3rd grade for highly gifted children. I've got it ordered, but haven't looked at it yet to decide if I want to use it next year or wait for my language-loving 6 yr old.

Even if you decide to go back and go through it more formally with the 6 yr old when she can do the writing part, I don't think it would hurt to let her read along in Grammar Island with her sister.

We'll be using MCT early (like perhaps this fall when my daughter is almost 7), but first I want to finish Growing With Grammar 3 (or equivalent third grade grammar), so she has the basics down very well. We go through this stuff super fast, she loves it.

I'm using Island level with my 3rd grader. My 1st grader is mostly doing informal things like journaling, blogging, extra reading, and Mad Libs for grammar. He is also doing some phonics and spelling. I plan to start him on the Island level in 3rd grade. He wouldn't be ready for all the writing assignments before then. I'm still trying to figure out what to use for LA for 2nd grade though. Hope you get some good suggestions.

I am using MCT Island level with my 3rd grader and my 1st grader just listens in, but isn't really "digging" it. ;) SO . . . I am going to either use FLL-1 with him OR Growing with Grammar-1. My 3rd grade son had already gone through FLL-1&2 before we started MCT Island and he is doing great, so I just figured I'd do something similar with 1st grade son and start MCT Island with him when he is in 3rd.

Speaking of Scott Foresman, they have some free grammar worksheets here.

http://www.sfreading.com/teachers.html

These are tied in to the 2000/2002 editions of the reading textbooks, but the only ones connected to the textbook are the before/after reading ones. Along with grammar, there's a word study page, a study skills page, and a reading comprehension skill/test prep type page.