Menu

College music audition attire

We're in the middle of college auditions...here's my question. We are to show up and be given a time for dd to audition. She's planning to wear a simple classic black dress, sleeveless, but relatively conservative....hoping for dressy but not too.....it may actually be in the morning, we just don't know. Any experience? I don't think slacks are dressy enough. (Her teacher is a guy and just no help.) :confused:

I posted this on the college board too...ever feel kind of in the middle?

progress.gifedit.gif quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

BeebalmView Public ProfileSend a private message to BeebalmSend email to BeebalmFind all posts by BeebalmAdd Beebalm to Your Contacts

For auditions and interviews, "business" or "church" attire seems to be the best. Not too dressy but not too conservative. Slacks might be ok if she is most comfortable in them. Make sure she still looks like a "student" not middle-aged!!! Clean and interesting-looking is the way to go I think.

Simple, something she can move in, nice, well groomed, not too short, low cut, or tight. Basic black or black/white is never wrong for music performance, but I wouldn't go all the way to the formal/tuxedo look used for evening concerts.

Some programs do part of the audition blind, from behind a screen, so she should be prepared for that. She should also be prepared to get feedback and suggestions to change slightly-and if so, she should be ready to respond immediately, because what they're judging is her response to criticism. This usually, but not always, comes during the sight reading portion of the audition. I have also been on audition boards where they'll ask the student to play with other students or even faculty on a duet or trio, which can really throw someone who doesn't expect it. Pianists shouldn't be surprised if they're asked to sight read an accompaniment part.

A mistake or two won't usually keep a student from being admitted, but a lack of responsiveness and a prima donna attitude almost always will. So will being note perfect on your primary piece, but choking big-time on any sort of sight reading. And scholarships require that the student not only be extremely capable, but be someone the faculty really want to work with.

I think dress slacks are fine.

She needs to look professional, but the clothes need to be simple...so as to not draw attention away from her instrument.

:iagree: with the above poster. Her attitude and talent during the audition is what they are looking for. Be teachable!!!:001_smile:

Especially if voice is her instrument, pants are not dressy enough, you are right. She could get away with slacks if her instrument were trumpet, perhaps, but I think I remember your daughter might be either a vocalist or pianist (unless I'm mistaking you for someone else). I work in the School of Music on a college campus, so I have seen countless students file in and out for auditions.

One thing to avoid: bare legs, especially with open-toed shoes. She should wear black tights and black shoes or hose and nice shoes, not necessarily black. She should practice walking in the shoes prior to the audition if they are new.

I have never heard of a blind college audition. Typically the faculty will interact with the student, asking lots of questions. And the faculty will try to make the student feel comfortable; they expect students to be nervous, so if she clams up or feels shy at first, they will help her out. Most are not ogres, in my experience.

She'll be fine!

If she is an intrsumentalist, please have her do a lot of playing in the dress. It is no fun to pick something off the rack that looks like it fits the bill and then get there and it pulls in the shoulders, rides up (OH MY A HUGE FRUSTRATION WHEN YOU ARE AT THE PIANO!!!!), or rustles...one reason I wear a lot of chiffon and bengaline but no satin or taffeta. Black is never wrong, dark navy blue is fine too. No slacks unless she is a cellist, bass, bassoon, or harpist...these instruments, because of siting and straddling an instrument, are appropriately played by females wearing very dressy trousers and if possible, palazzo pants which give a dressier feel.

But above all, make sure the outfit is comfortable and doesn't ride up or make sound!

Faith

All wonderful comments....thanks so much for your help. All went fine....she wore the black dress and fit in well. The audition went well and she had a lesson with one of the professors there. It was a great day. Thanks so much for your help. I'm so new to all of this and really appreciate your experience. Thank you!