Menu

Living your destiny, or childhood dreams.

The last two books I have read are The Alchemist and The Last Lecture. They got me thinking. I don't feel as though I've had any real passionate dreams or that I had any particular destiny to live out. I wanted to get married, be a mom, and a teacher, but I know that a lot of that was because I never felt encouraged to do or be anything else.

If I had any childhood dreams, I don't remember them. Dreams were not encouraged when I was young. Being a "dreamer" was an insult. It is not practical. Really, all I ever wanted to do when I was a child was lie in bed all day and read. That drove my mother crazy, which made it twice as fun. ;)

What about you? Do you feel as though you are living your destiny, have you realized any childhood dreams?

My dh is - He wanted to be a pilot - and he is. He is one of the few people I know who actually did what they dreamt of as a kid.

I wanted to be: an astronaut, a pilot, a marine biologist, a genetecist, a novelist, a world explorer

None of the above.

What is funny is that I really really didn't want to be a mom - and certainly not one that stayed at home all day!

But that is what and who I am now - and I wouldn't chang it.

I still would love to travel the world, though, and DH and I are doing that when we retire.

I recently found my childhood diaries - 4th -9th grades with daily entries. My daughter has been reading them. One of her favorite entries was my desire to become a child psychologist and work with disabled or troubled children. I have two special needs children, one with autism! Cracked us up - bc I may not have the degrees but I've immersed that world for years!!

Well. I've always thought, since I was young, that I wanted to be:

A teacher

A writer

A mom

I'm definitely a mom- and now, because of homeschooling, I'm a teacher, too. As for writing- I've always written creatively, for fun, but once I started homeschooling, I got inspired to write and submit a few articles to a homeschooling magazine and ended up getting published a few times! Granted it barely paid anything but still- I was published and it was the first time I'd ever been inspired to try :)

I wanted to be: an airline stewardess (I've never flown and most likely never will), a vet, a mom, a teacher, and an artist.

I'm a mom :D We have pets that require maintenance ;) and I get to teach my kids. I lost my passion for art once dd came along (I seemed to lose a lot of my natural talent too) and a fear of heights killed the stewardess dream.