Menu

Finished FLL, but dd is HATING Rod & Staff English! Suggestions?

BabyBre

Dd10 loved FLL, and WTM recommends continuing with R&S. I like R&S, but dd dispises it! I really don't see that much difference between it and FLL, but I have to bribe her with additional diagramming at the end of each lesson! :laugh: And she still has a hard time staying focused on it.

Any other suggestions on a good follow-up to FLL?

It might help to know what she hates about it... the presentation? The exercises?

We really like it here, but I've done a few other grammar programs and might be able to give some insight if I know more what she doesn't like.

I wish I knew, too! It's not so different in presentation than FLL, nor are the exercises, but when it comes out you can see all the energy drain out of her. She's suddenly tired looking and yawning and mopey. She really did enjoy FLL and especially the diagramming, so we add that in. She diagrams far more than what R&S 5 calls for her to do, but in other topics I don't think she's bored because she's too far ahead of it. She averages about 88% on the chapter tests.

:iagree:

What about doing most of it orally?

We do almost all of it orally, which is how we did FLL. I thought it would help to skip the written practice, but she doesn't mind pencil and paper work. Maybe we should instead to most of it on paper?

Any thoughts and suggestions, throw 'em my way! Thanks!

We do almost all of it orally, which is how we did FLL. I thought it would help to skip the written practice, but she doesn't mind pencil and paper work. Maybe we should instead to most of it on paper?

Any thoughts and suggestions, throw 'em my way! Thanks!

I would switch to doing it on paper then- and maybe assign some diagramming if she's really into thaT?

is working on FLL 5 now; I decided to give ds 11 a break from grammar this year rather than switching programs.

I plan to pick up with FLL 5 next year, and just hope SWB keeps writing a book a year until we're done with grammar :tongue_smilie:

I've heard that but, like I said, dd enjoyed grammar so much last year I didn't want to stop and wait for FLL5. Although I'm beginning to think that may not be such a bad idea. We could just diagram for a year in hopes that FLL5 would be read for us next year.

Let us know if you hear anything!

FLL5 comes out in the fall. I think I'd scrap grammar til then! Maybe find some silly workbooks or something to keep things fresh til then? Or what about the Grammar story book from MCT? Just for something different to keep thinking about grammar til then, but keep her from hating it?

Great! That may be the best answer to our dilema. She'll actually be in 5th grade next year, so she wouldn't even be "behind" in grade level.

I'll check out MCT. Any other supplemental-type programs to help us keep up on until next year?