Menu

How do you schedule Meet The Masters?

I've decided to do this next year for 6th grade art. (And I have to thank this board for helping me find out about that homeschool buyer's co-op, which I had NO idea existed until today when I did a search for MTM to see what kind of reviews it was getting around here, and which enabled me to sign up and get MTM for half the price!!!!)...

Anyway!

I'm just wondering how you all schedule it. Do you do it once a week and stretch it out so that each artist lasts a month? If so, how do you break it down into 4 week segments? Could you give me an example of what you might aim to accomplish in a given week?

Thanks!

We meet with a group once a month to do the project, so I always have a deadline. Usually we're cramming it in to the last week before the group meets. :tongue_smilie:

We'll do the slideshow one day, then usually one worksheet a day.

I keep thinking I'll supplement with books and a CM-ish type picture study, but it hasn't happened.

All that said, I love MTM. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

We do this on Fridays and take two Fridays/artist. The first Friday we do the slideshow and prep pages, the second Friday we work on the actual project. I tried to drag the lesson out over a month but found that it didn't take that long and my dc lost interest. The 2-week schedule has worked very well for us. I love MTM!

We do this on Fridays and take two Fridays/artist. The first Friday we do the slideshow and prep pages, the second Friday we work on the actual project. I tried to drag the lesson out over a month but found that it didn't take that long and my dc lost interest. The 2-week schedule has worked very well for us. I love MTM!

Ah thanks for letting me know! Maybe we will try a two week schedule, too then. I don't want any given week to be overly time consuming- but I don't want it to be where we're trying to fill time just to drag it out longer and end up losing interest, either!

Oh! One thing we also do is put their art work in plastic sheet protectors (you have to obviously cut the paper down some so account for that beforehand) and hang their work in our dining room. I also put the artist profile slip with their work on the wall. That has been a hit for our dc and visitors alike.

We do it over 2 weeks as well and hang their artwork in our dining room on art rails I made from Ana White's website. The kids absolutely love it!

For art supplies, I take the 40% off coupons for Michaels and Joann's and buy whatever we need for the next unit while we're on the current unit so that I don't have to make a huge outlay at once and I'm getting a great discount on the stuff. We've had really good luck doing it that way, but...honestly...the art supplies have been really reasonable.

Thanks, Lesley! That's a good idea... how often do you find 40 percent off coupons for Michael's??

Sign up online and they send you a coupon pretty much every week. Joann's, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels will all accept competitor coupons. There's one every week in the newspaper for Joann's. And Hobby Lobby will email you coupons every couple of weeks too.

Also, Michaels and Joann's offer a teacher discount that's open to homeschoolers. At Joann's, I get 15% off every purchase, sale, regular, or clearance price. I'm not sure what the Michael's discount is b/c I don't normally shop there (much further away than Joann's from me). BUT, you can't combine a 40% coupon AND the teacher discount....

My *plan* is to do it every Friday that we have school, splitting each artist into two segments -- first lecture/computer slide show/notebooking about the artist, then the next session is any worksheets and the art project. I say plan because honestly we only get to it about twice a month with various activities always falling on Fridays.

Here's a hint for saving the art projects. I bought a package of 12x12 paper in white and black and then a package of construction paper that is 9x12. For each art project I make sure either it is using a 12x12 sheet for the background or I trim a sheet of construction paper to 9x11 and then mount that on a black or white 12x12. Then each kid has a 12x12 3 ring binder with top-loading page protectors where we store all their art projects. I also take pictures of any special crafts they do and print them in 8x10 and mount on a 12x12 sheet. So they each have a nice album of all the things they have worked on, and I don't have miscellaneous papers and projects all over the house that I can't bear to throw away.

I also do their scrapbooks/photo albums in 12x12 3 ring binders so they match, but you don't have to be as OCD as I am!! :)

sorry, I didn't read this before answering basically the same thing! GMTA!! :)

Thanks! It looks great, I'm really excited about using it (and doing it along with her!) Of course, that art supply list looks a little intimidating, hopefully it doesn't get ridiculously expensive lol.

Local stores can get very expensive. Try Dick Blick. Their prices are great.

Pentel Oil Pastels $2.24

Reeves Soft Pastels $3.29

Local stores can get very expensive. Try Dick Blick. Their prices are great.

Pentel Oil Pastels $2.24

Reeves Soft Pastels $3.29

Great, thanks for that link! I will check it out!

And thanks for the above tip on mounting on bigger paper and putting in an album (so you mean that you holepunch the background paper to go into the binder, as opposed to hole punching their actual work, right?)

One more question... once you guys print out all these packets of information, what do you do with it? Right now I just have it paperclipped into bundles by artist... would you holepunch this stuff and start a binder for it?

ETA: Another question, one of the first things on the art supply list is "Prang Original Tempera Paint 3/4 oz. - 6 color set" - er, what do they mean by "original?" Looking on that Dick Blick website, they have:

Prang Dry Tempera Cakes

This compact tempera cake set incorporates a paint brush and water wells for mixing and cleaning. It includes nine fabulous colors that are ready to use, and the easy-to-store plastic tray makes cleanup and storage a snap.

Prang Ready-To-Use Tempera Paint

Ready-to-use, it won't settle or separate in squeeze and paint bottles. It never needs stirring. It gives rich opaque matte coverage, and mixes with other temperas. Non-toxic, water-soluble.

Neither of which seems to be exactly what is mentioned on the art supply list... but will any squeeze bottle of tempera paint work? (they don't mean the dry cakes right??)

Edited by NanceXToo

I love Meet the Masters! We are studying Picasso now, and the whole family joins in on their online video lesson. :)

I try to schedule each unit for one month, once a week. The first week we listen to the online lesson, and do the exercises. The next week we do some read-alouds and do the MTM project. The next two weeks we do various projects from other art books like Discovering Great Artists, or a project I find online, as well as re-read some of the read-alouds. The Mike Venezia books are great to collect for this subject.

Some units I think we could spend just 2-4 weeks. So many artists, so little time...

As for buying supplies, I also collect the 40% off coupons, use my educator discount when applicable, or shop online at DickBlick.

I printed out everything, holepunched the pages, and stuck them in a binder.

Thanks, Angela! I think I will do that (hole punch everything and keep it in a binder). I just finished printing out the last of it! Thanks for sharing details of your timeline/schedule, too. I'm looking forward to getting to it and finding out what ends up working for us!

Thanks, Angela! I think I will do that (hole punch everything and keep it in a binder). I just finished printing out the last of it! Thanks for sharing details of your timeline/schedule, too. I'm looking forward to getting to it and finding out what ends up working for us!

I am not sure f it works online, but I was told they offer it locally. :)