Menu

My son is taking Latin with the Lukeion Project and I recommend it wholeheartedly. The teacher is wonderful (encouraging and friendly but firm and with high expectations), and the class is well organized.

I know there are several Lukeion veterans on the board with far more experience than I, so maybe they'll chime in. :)

My son is taking Latin with the Lukeion Project and I recommend it wholeheartedly. The teacher is wonderful (encouraging and friendly but firm and with high expectations), and the class is well organized.

I know there are several Lukeion veterans on the board with far more experience than I, so maybe they'll chime in. :)

I'm glad to hear this, as I plan on starting my dd with Lukeion Latin in the fall. It'll be interesting to see how she handles the work load - it moves much quicker than our rather pokey pace we've been doing with Latin Prep!

She should do well. There's a lot of momentum happening in Mrs. Barr's classes -- there's always an assignment to do, and there's a healthy amount of competition in the classes that makes life interesting. (Mrs. Barr lists the top scorers on each quiz and then gives unidentifying information to tell how many students made A's, B's, and so on.) It's hard for a student to fall far behind because homework is due every Friday and quizzes are due every Monday. Then there's the NLE to get ready for, and before you know it the year's over. You don't have time to get bored.icon7.gif

:iagree::iagree:My dd took two years of Latin with Lukeion and may take a third next year (she took a break this year.) It's been her best "farmed out" class by far, and, IMHO, her best homeschool experience ever. I cannot recommend Lukeion highly enough, though I try every time a thread like this comes up. My dd considers them to be the standard by which all teachers should be measured. They also do excellent 4-session workshops, for students who would liek to get their feet wet without doing a whole semester class. :)

I see that you've already received some detailed responses regarding Lone Pine Classical School on the other thread.

I'll add that my boys are in their third year with Lone Pine, and I've been very happy with the instruction. I agree that there isn't any busy work of any kind; everything covered in class and assigned as homework has a specific purpose. There are two online class meetings per week, plus a weekly help session for those interested.

There is an opportunity to travel to Colorado each spring to participate in a Latin Convention put on by the Colorado Junior Classical League(??). We made the trip last year, and my boys really enjoyed meeting their instructor and classmates.

Both boys have worked very hard in the classes, and that hard work has paid off in excellent scores on the NLE each year. I am thrilled that we found Ms. Karppinen to lead our Latin studies.

WOW, there have been a lot of great points to think over. Thanks every one.

I see that Lone Pine has 2 classes a week and an additional (optional) 3rd help session. This seems like a real plus. I am not very familiar with the text though.

I guess I have some things to think about.

Thanks again.

Danielle