Menu

Spammers Exploit Turbo Tax

I received this information in my work email today:

If you get an email that appears to be from Turbo Tax Customer Support asking you to download an updated version of the software, think twice before you click on the link. According to WebCPA last month, spammers are sending messages from fannyxxx@turbotax.cn, claiming to be from TurboTax Customer Service. The email message encourages users to go to turbotax.com/update for the newest version, but instead takes them to a blank page with a pop-up that asks them to download a file that could expose them to identity theft.

This isnt the only incident reported by Symantec. A similar email message claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service encourages recipients to download tax software in order to receive their tax refund, but instead links to a virus.

Make sure you verify that an email is from a credible source before opening links or attachments.

I got a text message on my cell phone last week, telling me my federal credit union account was invalid and to call the number, something like that. I did not call, but our credit union had just changed its name, I was worried something was messed up because of the change. We got an email from the credit union a few days later warning about this and saying not to call, that they had the phone number stopped. sheesh, wondering how the spammers got my number...