Menu

Buying Science Kits

So, I've heard you all talking a lot about science kits and I finally went and looked at some at Home Science Tools. My question is - how often and how many do you buy? These things aren't cheap (IMO) - $15, $30, +++ So, do you buy them for your school year? Or just as Christmas/birthday gifts? I was looking at one for the human body, since my ds is into that right now. $15 for a science kit isn't outrageous, but when I consider that that's only one topic...then they start adding up. Do you find ways to do similar projects with at home materials?

I'm just curious how you add/incorporate them into your curriculum. (And of course, what are your favorites for K-3 age?)

DH is adamant that DS is not to receive "school" gifts for Christmas or birthday, so I generally don't give science kits. It is hard, though, as DS loves science and wants to be a scientist when he grows up.

I would prefer to buy a good book that includes experiments you can do with general household supplies vs spending money on a kit. But I do buy a few kits a year, if there is something DS is very interested in and the kit can be reused. (Like solar science stuff.) If you have a Hobby Lobby in your area, they have a good selection of science kits and are often on sale for 30-40% off. Likewise, if you have a teacher supply store, you can sign up for an educator's discount. Amazon also has good prices on science kits.

That said - I do love Home Science Tools! I try to buy from them, whenever possible.

We have had several science kits, and my son enjoys them. I don't use them as part of our curriculum, usually we'll just do one on the weekend with DH, but they are still great learning experiences.

My son has received many of these as gifts (birthday and Christmas). He loves to do these and doesn't consider them as really "school" stuff, and certainly doesn't mind receiving them as gifts. These are good things to mention to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. for holidays. I know in our case relatives are always asking for ideas when birthdays or Christmas comes around.

Amazon has great prices on kits, and also rainbow resources. Usually if I am placing a large order with RR, I'll add a kit in, especially if I need to get to $150 for the free shipping.

I agree that there are a lot of good books with experiments, and even some free online sources. Most use household items, you may only need to buy one or two inexpensive ingredients. HTH!

So, I've heard you all talking a lot about science kits and I finally went and looked at some at Home Science Tools. My question is - how often and how many do you buy? These things aren't cheap (IMO) - $15, $30, +++ So, do you buy them for your school year? Or just as Christmas/birthday gifts? I was looking at one for the human body, since my ds is into that right now. $15 for a science kit isn't outrageous, but when I consider that that's only one topic...then they start adding up. Do you find ways to do similar projects with at home materials?

I'm just curious how you add/incorporate them into your curriculum. (And of course, what are your favorites for K-3 age?)

This is the first year we've bought any science kits. I bought an astronomy one for the fall, a rocks and minerals one for the winter, and a volcano kit for early spring. They do add up quickly. I was actually going to pass on the volcano kit because I thought the price was too high, but then I found it for half price at RR in their bargain section. I would say pick one or two topics a year that you think will interest your kids the most and buy kits for those topics. For the rest of the year stick with projects that you can do at home.

I'm not opposed to science kits for birthdays/Christmas. DS6 got a Snap Circuits Junior kit for Christmas that we will probably incorporate into science next year. I'm more than happy to buy a science kit for a present if it's something that I think the recipient will enjoy doing on their own for fun.

HTH

We really liked the Magic Schoolbus ones. They have a scope and sequence and can be fun on their own or used to supplement a curriculum or a unit study if you add a bunch of books and some videos or something. Some are better than others, though and I understand some of the newer ones are just so-so.

While we really enjoyed those, I don't think science kits are a necessity or anything. Most of the experiments in them can be done without buying the kit. And some of the special components, such as things that grow crystals or little test tubes or things like that can be purchased separately for much less. Our really awesome toy store has lots of science kits and then a big section that also has the kinds of things that would be in science kits.

I don't think of things like Snap Circuits as science kits per se... that's more of a science toy or something. But a really, really good one.