Menu

Using History Odyssey with 4th and 6th graders

Laura in STL

I'm thinking about HO for next year's middle ages study. I will have dd in 4th and ds in 6th. Both are above grade level readers, and their writing is probably on grade level.

I'm wondering if I should buy level one and level two? I definitely want level two for ds, but can't decide about level one. Im a little concerned that they don't line up lesson by lesson. We like to work together with their ages so close, so I might just have dd do SOTW 2 and try to follow the topics from level two.

I haven't used HO before, so if you have any experience with it I would love to hear. Do you think we would be missing out by not using level one with dd? My main reason for getting HO is that I don't think we are doing enough logic level work in history with ds, and I think the structure will help us.

I also like that it is secular, because we have our religion covered with another program.

Thanks for any ideas!

I would definitely go with level 2. Adapt as necessary (eliminate some of the writing) for the 4th grader.

I'm not really a fan of level 1. I'd rather just use SOTW (and the AG a bit for readings) rather than HO1, and since the lessons *don't* line up at all, there's just not motivation to do HO1. ... But I think you could either do HO2 for the 6th grader and lighten some of the requirements (mostly writing-related -- a strong 4th grader could do all of the reading in HO2) for the younger one, or you could do HO2 and SOTW.

Im a little concerned that they don't line up lesson by lesson. We like to work together with their ages so close, so I might just have dd do SOTW 2 and try to follow the topics from level two.

If this is an issue, I'd definitely go with level 2 and use the advice the PP gave. The HO levels do *not* line up at all.

I've not heard many good reviews on HO's level 1 products so I would just save your money and skip that level.

My son is in 5th grade and we're using level 2. I definitely think a 4th grader who's a decent reader would do fine with it. I expected there to be more writing. It really guides the student through outlining, even suggesting the main topics and asking the student to come up with two sub-topics for each main topic. The other writing assignments are mostly short summaries for various people - and by short I mean that a few sentences are suggested, maybe a paragraph once in a while.

I have a similar situation. My boys are in 4th and 6th grade this year. Both read well above their grade levels. We started using HO last year. I had my older ds use Ancients Level 2 and my younger ds use Ancients Level 1. Loved Level 2 but didn't care for Level 1- it seemed to young for my ds.

This year older ds is using HO Level 2 Middle Ages and he loves it. I wanted to combine both boys but Level 2 seems too advanced for my 4th grader. I think he could handle the reading just fine but there is a lot of summary writing and other writing (a biography and a short report) and he's just not there yet. I looked at Middle Ages Level 1 but that didn't look challenging enough so we're doing SOTW 2 with him plus a lot of extra reading.

I would highly recommend going to the Pandia Press website and using the try before you buy feature. That might give you a better idea of whether it will work for you.

My son is in 5th grade and we're using level 2. QUOTE]

Should probably add that we're doing Ancients. From what I've seen of the samples, it does not seem as challenging as Middle Ages. I guess they are probably assuming that you'd begin with Level 2 Ancients (where they step the student through learning to outline) and then the next year you're on to Level 2 Middle Ages. So not sure about Level 2 Middle Ages for 4th grade, but think the Ancients would be fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I'll take everyone's advice and not bother with the level one. I saw another thread with SOTW lined up to the HO level 2 plan, so that is already done for me!

I may have 4th grader do the literature, so we can still discuss as a family. That's her strong area, so it shouldn't be a problem. For writing I'll just stick to SOTW narrations for her, since it sounds like the Middle Ages summaries are a bit more advanced. We are doing IEW, too, so writing should be covered.

History was my last thing to figure out, so now I can start buying and planning for next year! Yay!:D

...I expected there to be more writing. It really guides the student through outlining, even suggesting the main topics and asking the student to come up with two sub-topics for each main topic. ...

There's not as much direction in the Middle Ages year though, because HO assumes a child has done the Ancients level. It's quite doable, but you may need to do a little more hand-holding at first when stepping in at the MA year with a child who hasn't done much outlining yet.

ETA: Oops, and now I see that Heidi already mentioned this in her follow-up post. :)