Menu

I have a question about phonics methods.

Indygirl

I am still fairly new to hsing. I taught my ds8 and ds6 to read using Abeka phonics. If you are familiar with them, they teach about a zillion special sounds. So if we are reading, I will say "what does kn, or sn, or -ly say.." etc.. What method is that? It is really all we know right now.

My ds8 reads fairly well but my ds6 is stumbling a bit. I tried AAS1 with him but it just seemed to confuse him. I could not even wrap my head around it. It is a whole different method I am assuming.

My boys could both use help with spelling and I would love to switch to an all-in-one like PR but I am thinking that I would have to reteach phonics. At this point, how difficult would it be to switch methods?

All About Spelling is good for combining phonics with spelling. I used Abeka for 3 of mine and we are starting AAS now. You don't have all the "special sounds" but you use phonograms to learn the rules of spelling. Duh, I see that you mentioned AAS!! It is working for us. We tried Phonetic Zoo and hated it!!!

All About Spelling is good for combining phonics with spelling. I used Abeka for 3 of mine and we are starting AAS now. You don't have all the "special sounds" but you use phonograms to learn the rules of spelling. Duh, I see that you mentioned AAS!! It is working for us. We tried Phonetic Zoo and hated it!!!

How many different phonograms are there and are they similiar to Abeka's "special sounds"?

I am still fairly new to hsing. I taught my ds8 and ds6 to read using Abeka phonics. If you are familiar with them, they teach about a zillion special sounds. So if we are reading, I will say "what does kn, or sn, or -ly say.." etc.. What method is that? It is really all we know right now.

My ds8 reads fairly well but my ds6 is stumbling a bit. I tried AAS1 with him but it just seemed to confuse him. I could not even wrap my head around it. It is a whole different method I am assuming.

My boys could both use help with spelling and I would love to switch to an all-in-one like PR but I am thinking that I would have to reteach phonics. At this point, how difficult would it be to switch methods?

Using PR would require a little fine tuning, but it won't be like reteaching phonics. There is less blending sounds than in Abeka (I had the flashcards and used them long ago).

The 8yo would very likely pick up the markings pretty quickly. The 6yo will fall right on time into the PR line up.

You may appreciate the DVDs that will show you step by step how to teach the program. Have you looked at the samples lessons on the website?

Using PR would require a little fine tuning, but it won't be like reteaching phonics. There is less blending sounds than in Abeka (I had the flashcards and used them long ago).

The 8yo would very likely pick up the markings pretty quickly. The 6yo will fall right on time into the PR line up.

You may appreciate the DVDs that will show you step by step how to teach the program. Have you looked at the samples lessons on the website?

I got my sample disc for PR1 in the mail today. Now I am just waiting for some quiet time to check it out.

They are all related, and after a while using several will not be confusing in the long run, it just takes a while to get used to slightly different names of things and ways of presenting the basic phonics information.

This is a good thread talking about different types of phonics programs out there and how they compare:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177739