Menu

Horizon Math users...what are you planning to use after 6th grade? or

OR are you planning to make the switch before 6th grade to leave time for adjustment to another curriculum. We have used Horizons without any problems but I have been disappointed in the lack of instruction provided for the teacher this year as well as the student (4th grade). I've not had any problems so far in explaining the concepts from the workbook page BUT I can see that this could be an issue before we finish in 6th grade. I've already purchased Horizons 5 for next year but am just wondering what others have done or might be thinking...

Thanks in advance!

Blessings,

Penny

Mom to 5 and married to dh for 25 years

ds's - 22; ds - 10; ds - 7; dd - 2

We just finished Horizon 3 and we use Singapore Math with it. This year we are dropping Horizon and moving to TT Math 6. I figured it's only up to Grade 6 plus it doesn't have a good explanation or teacher's guide, so I'm moving on to TT before he gets into a harder level of math. But I'm retaining Singapore for extra practice.

Leila

Momof7 shared her K-12 math plan and I saved it as she has btdt a few times! :001_smile: She felt that Horizons all the way through was an excellent foundation for higher math. Here was her response:

Mom of 7’s Math Plan for K-12

K-6 Horizons

MUS alg/geo combo for pre-alg/pre-geo

Foerster for alg 1 and 2

Chalkdust geometry (I have also used Jacobs geo, but I think I have decided that I prefer the Larson text)

dual enrollment for pre-cal up.

This plan has worked well for our family. My kids all have solid math skills.

Another response on WTM board from Momof7:

Our approach (though not a perfect one by any means!!) has been to use MUS's alg/geo combo book as a pre-alg/pre-geo book (and completed in one yr) followed by Foerster alg 1.

My kids math skills have all been strong at the end of Horizons, but maturity-wise, none of them have been ready to jump into the presentation/workload of a full-fledged alg program. MUS's program is very concretely presented and rather simplistic. It has been a good intro into the basics of the "math" side of alg but very weak on the conception parts of both alg and geo (thereoms especially.) So it has worked well as a spring-board into Foerster's very solid alg program.

Followed by either Chalkdust or Jacobs geo (I have used both, both are fine). Foerster's alg 2. Dual enrollment for pre-cal up.

Hope that helps!