Menu

The main thing you need to look for in a sofa is whether it has a hardwood kiln dried frame and eight way hand-tied seat construction. If the fabric or leather (Italian leather is the best) is nice and it has these components, it doesn't matter where it is made. If you are looking for leather, Bradington Young is made exceptionally well.

The sad news is that over 90% of furniture is now made overseas...mostly China. The NC factories have dwindled to a few; we are losing our industry and 100's of years worth of knowledge b/c people want to shop at Rooms to Go.

Good luck to you. Doing your research and due diligence is wise. Try some online retailers and see what you think. Many of them do an excellent job.

I got a couch and reclining chair this summer from Bassett. The couch was regularly $1200 but on sale for $500. I'm very pleased with the quality - much better than the Lazy Boy reclining couch I got about 6 years ago.

One way to look at it, you can buy cheaper now while your kids are young and rough and tumble, and then buy better quality when they are older. No way would I pay $6000! Try to wait for a sale.

If you live somewhere where there are craftsmen who make furniture (Mennonite, Amish, etc.), we have found that their furniture is not any more expensive than the moderately priced furniture in our stores around here. Made in America. Real, solid wood through and through. Fabulously well-weighted drawers that will close properly forever, etc., etc. If you can get it directly from the maker you will save a middle man's fee....

Why is it that EVERY furniture store out there has HORRIBLE reviews? Seriously. I live in the DC-Baltimore area... you would think there would be some good stuff here.... but EVERY. SINGLE. STORE. has more negative than positive reviews. And they all have furniture made in China....

Keep in mind that people are more likely to talk about or review a company when they have a bad experience than when they have a good experience. Just because there are more complaints doesn't mean you will have the same experience.

Another good word for LazyBoy. We have had a couch and loveseat from them for over 17 years. Like another poster, both pieces have been through several military moves. We had new foam put in the cushions around the 15 year mark and a spring fixed in the loveseat. People can't believe the set is so old and still looks great.