Menu

CLE LA 3 vs Rod & Staff English 3

Disney Dreaming

Has anyone tried both of these? If so, which is a better program? We have tried A Beka for the last 2 years and it's just not working. We are 100 lessons in and haven't hit NOUNS! I have picked up FLL 1, we are about half way through this, but I need a good solid LA program for next year. I have purchased CLE LA 2, just started this week, but it looks like it isn't as strong as Rod & Staff. Am I correct in this assumption? Dd(7) is the only child I homeschool-this is our 2nd yr homeschooling and I still feel lost!

Neither one is better than the other. :)

I like R&S's English because it is a textbook. I think the writing involved, using actual paper, is important. I also like the scope and sequence.

Some people like the fact that CLE is a workbook. And I think the scope and sequence is pretty close to R&S's.

Your choice. :)

I haven't used CLE, but I've used R&S.

As for nouns, we hit those with proper nouns and pronouns. We are diagramming too. Working with lots of things really. I was surprised. Go check out the table of contents. You will see what all is covered.

We love it over Abeka. Abeka was too dry for me, LOL. I like the way that you read, orally practice, and then complete written practice, which I've said many times over. I like that it reviews. I feel that there is enough that dd will continue to grasp the concept/theory and begin to practice it.

Some people like the fact that CLE is a workbook. And I think the scope and sequence is pretty close to R&S's.

We have been using Rod and Staff for a few years. We are going to try a few Light Units of CLE for a change of pace. My dd recently switched to CLE math and she loves the format of CLE workbooks.

Janet

CLE includes spelling, grammar, some writing (mostly creative writing), penmanship, and some phonics in the lower levels. If you do not need all of these subjects it would make more sense to use R&S.

I like the workbooks for CLE because they are easy for my children to read and do on their own. But, I have had to go through the light units and mark out things we did not need since we like Spelling Power, copywork from the Bible, and narration.

I plan to use R&S next year because it is just going to cover grammar and some writing instruction. It will work much better for us.

I would think that this is what makes them different.